Epilogue

The beeping of the machine was the first thing I heard when I came to. Bucky had been in the infirmary for ten hours when I'd fallen asleep. A quick look at the clock told me that I'd slept for almost seven.

After the team had arrived, they quickly got Bucky to the infirmary. Bruce began working on saving Bucky immediately, while calling a woman called Helen Cho in as well. The team was glad that I regained my memories, but we were all more concerned on keeping Bucky alive.

I looked around for the source of my awakening, when I realised fingers had curled around mine. I looked to Bucky to see him with his eyes open, and staring right at me.

"Bucky?" I whispered as I dropped to my knees beside his bed.

"Hey, Doll," Bucky croaked.

My throat began to close up as tears pricked my eyes.

"Oh, Bucky," I whispered.

I reached up and hugged him gently. He hugged me back and I pulled away.

"Water?" I asked, and he nodded.

I busied myself with pouring the glass before turning back to him. I helped him into a sitting position before handing him the glass. He gulped it down greedily and I refilled the glass for him.

"What – what happened?" he asked.

"You were stabbed," I said.

"I remember that, funnily enough," he grumbled, slumping back into the bed.

I chuckled and stroked his hair.

"I knocked everyone out with my power," I said. "There are quite a few dents in the wall that Tony wasn't all that happy about. After that, I – I remembered. And, oh Bucky, I thought I'd lost you!"

"You – you remember everything?" Bucky asked.

"Yeah," I said. "I also remember you telling me that you loved me even though I had no recollection of ever being with you." Bucky's face reddened a bit at that, and I chuckled. "You could have waited until after I got my memories back, you know. Or you could have told me sooner."

Bucky looked up to me in confusion and I sighed.

"I love you, Bucky Barnes," I said. "I've loved you for a while now, actually."

"Really?" Bucky asked.

"Really," I said.

Bucky smiled at me and I grinned back.

"I love you too, Y/n L/n," he said. "More than you know."

I leaned down to him and pressed my lips against his. He kissed me softly and somehow ended up tugging me onto the hospital bed with him. I cuddled into him, overly glad that he was alive, that he was breathing.

Months ago, I had told Bucky that he was a reminder of my time at Hydra. Over months of getting to know him and falling in love with him, he became a reminder of something else. He became a reminder of how good life could be. He was a reminder of the fact that we could get through anything, together. 

And that's all that mattered.