t h i r t y - o n e

For the next few weeks, I worked out with the three Avengers, read books that I'd apparently liked before my memory loss, and just spent time with Bucky.

I enjoyed spending time with Bucky. He was kind and gentle with me. His eyes softened whenever they landed on me, and his assassin's demeanour tended to melt away whenever I was around.

Everything seemed to be going well. I was... learning things, in a way. They were all things that I'd already known, but they were more of an instinct now, because I couldn't remember when or how I'd learnt them.

And then everything wasn't going well because Steve got a call from Tony. The conversation was short, and Steve hung up after a minute.

"Tony needs us," Steve said. "There's a Hydra attack. Bucky, you stay here with y/n."

Bucky nodded and hugged his friend goodbye. He then ruffled Nat's hair, and she growled at him and punched him in the arm. Steve and Natasha both said their goodbyes to me as well.

Steve and Natasha suited up and got on the quinjet in the span of a few minutes. I nervously wringed my hands. Over the few weeks I'd spent with them, they had become dear to me. Them, and Bucky. Quicker than they should have.

Bucky and my relationship was... strange, to say the least. He knew me better than I knew myself (literally), but it was just strange, because he knew so much about me. Even little things, and things that Natasha and Steve hadn't noticed.

Bucky didn't act like we were in a relationship, not really. He didn't kiss me, we didn't sleep in he same bed, and he didn't whisper sweet nothings in my ear. It looked hard for him, sometimes, to not kiss me when we were alone. It didn't scare me all that much. I knew Bucky wouldn't do anything without my permission, and I trusted him. I just felt bad that I didn't remember anything.

"Will they be okay?" I asked.

Despite the fact that I had trained alongside them for the past few weeks and had seen how... capable... they were, I still worried for them.

"They'll be fine," Bucky said. "They've fought worse."

I nodded and he led me back inside, and away from the landing pad. We went about our day, and a few hours later, we ended up in the living room, watching a movie together. We sat on the couch, closer than we normally did, close enough that I could feel the heat of his skin beneath my sleeves.

I glanced at him from the corner of my eye.

Over the past few weeks, I'd been drawn to him. I'd started to develop feelings for him. Even though I was technically already in a relationship with him.

I just wanted to experience the feel of his lips against mine, to feel his hands on my waist, my thighs, my –

Bucky sneezed, bringing me from my thoughts with a jolt. My cheeks heated and I began fiddling with a loose thread on one of the pillows. I looked up when the sound of the movie stopped. Bucky had paused the tv and was looking at me intently.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing's wrong," I said quickly.

Bucky quirked and eyebrow at me and I just looked at him.

"I know something's wrong," he said. "I know you."

I know you. The words clanged through me. He knew me, and I didn't know myself.

"You don't have to tell me," Bucky said. "We can just sit here together, and I can bless you with my company."

I snorted.