Chapter 26

The morning snowplow was a merciless timekeeper

The morning snowplow was a merciless timekeeper. Elliot tried to nestle deeper into the pillow, attempting to shield his ears from the loud noise, but his head was already invaded by echoing scrapes. The violent collisions of metal and concrete were the antitheses of chirpy birds and ocean waves - apparently cold had its own theme song. Even from within the bedroom, under a mound of blankets, he could hear the blade of the shovel grating against the curbs, like an ice chisel striking at his last piece of solace.

Elliot groaned, as if he was arguing with the crushed snow outside.

When he rolled over to reach for Pierce, the space was empty. Unlike other mornings when he had woken up in their dorm to find Pierce rushing to hockey practice or making a quick breakfast, the new room was quiet. The blinds had been partially drawn open, transforming the beaming sunshine into mellow streams of gold. He basked in the warmth, missing the firmness of Pierce's arms.

His eyes adjusted to the brightness as he stood, stretching his spine longer than usual. He had let Pierce bend him too much during their nightly antics, but he had no regrets.

A reminiscent smile played on his lips as he padded across the room. The wooden floor kissed each of his toes with a chill, which had him plotting some ideas. Perhaps he'd give Pierce an early Christmas gift - if he behaved.

Cat and mouse - that's what they were, that's what they had always been. A game, a challenge, a test. But things felt different now. Not only was the excitement dwindling, but Elliot was starting to feel safe, and he didn't know if he could trust his own judgement. He only understood the version of Pierce that was unpredictable and endearingly needy, not the helpful son, the bantering brother, the witty board game enthusiast. There were too many angles of Pierce, and Elliot liked them all. Moreover, their emotional foundation was built from late-night hamburgers and hand jobs. Would that be sufficient groundwork for a real relationship?