Chapter 38

The patio was a hazard

The patio was a hazard. There were at least a dozen cracks in the cement, all deep enough to catch the vamp of a shoe. A lengthy, swirled hose was frozen to the ground, waiting to trip an unexpected guest. Beyond the half-fallen fence, there was a row of dying oak trees and an a decrepit telephone pole. The high wire was tangled amongst bare branches and weathered tiki lights. Although the area wasn't very inviting, Pierce still stepped outside in hopes of finding some peace.

Someone's corgi ran across the grass, with lilac-dyed fur. It was barking loudly as a few sophomore guys chased after its wagging tail, but other than that, the backyard was quant. Pierce could hear the distant sounds of nightly traffic and faraway hoots of owls. There was a group of smokers at the other end of the yard, but nobody else. It was too cold to be outside for an extended period of time.

"I never pictured you as a Youtuber," a feminine voice approached. No greeting, no introduction, not even a friendly wave.

Jade. But he hadn't said that name since...

"It's not like that," Pierce told her, avoiding her gaze - shyer than he was with most people.

"No?"

"No," Pierce shook his head for emphasis. "I was trying to raise money for new hockey gear."

"Hockey," Jade purred, narrowing her eyes in skepticism. She was the kind of girl who looked like she wore cherry black lipstick daily, and she did. Along with a bejeweled septum ring. "Of course."

He was smiling now - genuinely enjoying her presence. The moon kept a careful watch. "Believe what you want."

"I choose to believe you're a secret narcissist." She took a long drag from a cigarette, teasing. She leaned against a rickety railing, stretching her neck as if she were assessing Pierce's body. "It makes my life easier."

He watched her for a moment, remembering how her mouth worked. "You know, you shouldn't smoke - it's really embarrassing. An ancient practice. Someone might think you're a grandma. Vaping is the new trend."

"Forget the fact that it rots my lungs?"

"I would've said that if I thought it'd make a difference."

The corner of her mouth upturned. There was a mutual understanding between them, like two old friends reuniting at a grocery store.