Chapter 32

"With all the craziness this morning," Robin began

"With all the craziness this morning," Robin began. "I wasn't able to give you this."

Elliot peered at the small, perfectly wrapped package in her hands. "Oh. I, uh..." He winced. "I don't have anything to give you, though."

Robin gave him a kind smile. "You've already given me everything I need." She glanced over her shoulder, focusing on Pierce laughing with his dad. He was grinning so wide a hockey puck could've fit between his lips.

Pierce was happy - here in his home, surrounded by family, with the most authentic form of joy in the corner of his shimmering eyes.

After Erin explained how she had been paying rent for the last year, having a gay son was Perry's unforeseen consolation. It may not have been what he envisioned for his children, but if one thing was for certain, it was that Perry Thompson loved to tell a good story - especially after a few drinks. By the time they were rolling the gingerbread dough, he was already calling his buddies to laugh about the whole ordeal. Even Chase appeared less heartbroken, but that could've been because he was standing beside Mo.

Robin added, "Go on, open it."

Elliot knew the wrapping paper had been reused, and somehow, that made him love the gift already. Robin was such a thoughtful, sentimental woman. She saved everything.

When he ripped the first corner, he could see it was a book. He tore another piece to see the title.

"It's a beauty book from the 1940s," Robin explained. "My mother gave it to me when I was a teenager. She found it in a used bookstore - we didn't have enough money to buy fancy magazines, so...when everyone else was dusting blue eyeshadow onto their eyelids in the 1980s, I was learning how to draw red liner on my upper lip like Betty Brosmer. I was a few decades behind." A chuckle rattled through her chest. "But I loved that book. It gave me confidence when I needed it most, and it was fun - to play with different colors, techniques, styles...I thought maybe you could wear an old makeup look one day. Just for fun."

Elliot paused, reading the inscription on the terribly-creased inside cover. The ink was faded with affection, as if someone had traced the letters over and over. The penmanship looked rushed, pointed, and outrageously messy - a writer's hand, no doubt. The words of a lover:

1947

My dearest Ruth,

Hattie told me you were eyeing this at the boutique on Short Street. A nickel for your smile is nothing compared to what I wish to give you one day, so like my heart, this book is yours. Although I doubt its pages compare to the beauty that is your divine self.

Happy birthday.

Most lovingly,

S.J.B.

Elliot could feel the love heavy in his hands. He wondered who the writer could have been, so, so many decades ago. Such a wholesome piece of history lost.

"Thank you," he said, unable to think of any other phrase that would be paramount to his gratitude.

Robin dipped her head in understanding. "Merry Christmas, Elliot. I'm so glad you could join us for the holidays. I really hope we see you next year." She squeezed him into a hug, tight enough to make his heart swell.

She walked into the kitchen, where everyone else was making cookies. Perry had driven Taylor to the airport, but everyone bid her a sincere goodbye. Mo and Chase had avoided eye-contact for hours, until Erin splattered flour in their faces and made them share their feelings. Now, they couldn't stop talking to each other. Elliot had grown attached to all of them. He didn't want to leave.

As he stood in front of the doorway, scanning through the pages of his new favorite book, Pierce quietly approached and hugged him from behind.

"Ready to go?" Pierce asked. He smelled like hot chocolate. Elliot could feel his heart beating against his back. He tangled their arms together, playfully squeezing Pierce's fingers.

No. "Yeah," Elliot answered, hoping they would visit again soon. His head tipped backwards, resting on Pierce's shoulder. He held him close.

"I'll get your bag," he replied. Above them, tied with a pretty bow, dangled an assemblage of green leaves and white berries. Sneakily, he kissed his cheek, whispering, "Mistletoe."

Elliot twisted in Pierce's arms, gazing at him without fear in his eyes - and kissed him. Slow, sweet, and spontaneous.