Chapter 35

JANUARY 2022

The blaring speakers made the foundation of the fraternity house rattle

The blaring speakers made the foundation of the fraternity house rattle. Half the people in the front room were lazily swaying to the rhythm of the music, but only a fraction of them actually recognized the melody. A group of drunk girls were standing in front of a wall decorated with beer casings and an American flag. They were distantly mouthing the wrong words to a Missy Elliott song - excluding Hayden, who was rapping unapologetically loud. She had memorized all the lyrics in high school, seemingly in preparation for this exact moment.

"Wyatt," Nicki spoke over the crowd. She leaned over a large foldable table, careful not to knock their game of beer pong. "It's your turn."

Wyatt cringed, looking beyond Nicki to fix his attention on his intoxicated sister. "Can you stop her? Please. Before someone casts her Shameless."

Nicki turned her head to see Hayden fist-pumping to the beat. She was dressed in her usual fashion - plain joggers, an oversized men's corduroy button-up, and a seven-year-old pair of sandals. In the game of life, Hayden had achieved level Give No Fucks.

Nicki slowly took out her phone to record the spectacle, as did many other onlookers. Quinn swatted her for being rude.

Pierce sighed. "I got her." Rounding the table, he approached the lively girl and said, "Alright, Hay-Z. Time to take a break. Let's put down your drink and count how many snap stories you're in."

"Hay-Z?" Hayden slurred, followed by a giggle-burp. Even drunk, she was smart enough to catch the reference. "Where's my Beyoncé?"

"Definitely not at the bottom of your cup." Pierce assessed her drink, tipping it over to find the Smirnoff completely gone.

Hayden's eyes bulged when she saw the contents on the table. "YOU GUYS ARE PLAYING BEER PONG?" She was already grabbing a ball. "Can I join?"

Wyatt started saying, "No - "

"She can take my place," Nicki offered, lowering her voice. "I'm going upstairs." She tapped the lens of her camera, as if she was the world's worst spy. "I'm doing an exposé on frat culture. Come get me if you see Elliot. I want to make a TikTok with him."

Pierce's heart did a triple-thud, unaware that his boyfriend would be making an appearance.

Quinn made a pessimistic face. "Take my pepper spray," she said.

Nicki motioned her agreement, confidently moving away from the group.

Pierce adjusted the sleeves of his hoodie, nervous at the thought of Elliot walking in any moment.

"Hayden's on your team," Wyatt told Pierce. She clapped her hands like a little kid.

"Hell no. She's your sister," Pierce argued. "I get Quinn."

Wyatt shook his head. "Me and Quinn are always a team. We're the undefeated duo. I've never won without her."

"Not my problem," Pierce's shrugged. He smugly added, "You'll have to beat me without her legendary ball-handling." He stared hard, trying to get Wyatt to admit there was something going on between him and Quinn - but there was only silence.

Wyatt's jaw clenched, withholding something.

Pierce clicked his tongue, as if he was disappointed.

Quinn looked bored, glancing between the two hockey boys. She drew out a long exhale, turning on the outer soles of her Nikes. "I'll be in the kitchen - getting Hayden some water. Come get us when your testosterone levels drop."

Wyatt harmlessly shoved Pierce. "Reset the cups."

"Reset your boner," he countered, referring to Quinn as she walked away. "Pinocchio. The more you lie, the longer is grows."

"Fuck off," Wyatt deflected, reddening - seemingly from embarrassment or frustration. Pierce couldn't read the emotion on his friend's face.