Chapter 59

Pierce came onto the set of the music video with a drink carrier in each hand

Pierce came onto the set of the music video with a drink carrier in each hand. Eight cups of coffee in total. He had texted Hayden to ask for everyone's preferred order.

An ink-covered hand reached for one of the cups before Pierce could even sit down. He looked up at the rude person, chiding, "Woah, woah. That's mine."

Professor V took a sip, letting the taste settle on his tongue. He cringed. "Oat milk? Really?"

"It's good for your complexion." And colon. At least that's what Elliot insisted. "What're you doing here?" Pierce asked, setting the drinks on a nearby table.

"The liberal arts department collectively nominated me to supervise this production," Professor V said, crossing one arm and surveying the students. His web tattoo was on full display as he took another sip of Pierce's coffee. "In hopes that nothing spontaneously bursts into flames."

Pierce didn't believe it for a second. Professor V would definitely be the guy lighting something on fire, not preventing it. "You volunteered, huh?"

The professor mildly smile, not willing to offer more than a tinge of human emotion. "Famous and intuitive," he joked. "I heard you make videos now. Ironic. Since you barely passed my class."

"Listen. It's not like you're special or anything," Pierce bantered, matching his professor's level of humor. "I barely passed any of my classes last semester. I had a lot on my mind."

Professor V almost smiled again. Pierce reminded him of himself and...somebody else - sour and sweet. Like a son he'd never have. "I've seen your content," he continued. "What I Eat In A Day. The Boyfriend Tag. Adventures At The Liquor Store." He had been making silly TikToks since he had come back to campus.

Pierce felt like he had to defend himself. "It's not supposed to be serious. It's just - "

"It's good," Professor V stated. "It's real. You connect with people."

Pierce froze, skeptical. "Like...Actually?"

"Yes, actually. Why didn't you submit something for the film contest? You would've done well."

"Because I'm not into that kind of stuff."

"Into what? Understanding an audience?" Professor V paused. "You're good at it."

"I'm not trying to be an influencer. I'm not like Nicki or Blake."

"You don't have to be." The professor put his hands in his pockets, casual. An Aquaman tattoo moved over his bicep. "You have a gift, though. You're good with people. You're trustworthy."

Pierce scoffed. "You should've seen me at Christmas. I'm not good with secrets."

Professor V ignored the comment. "What're your plans for next semester?"

Pierce shrugged. "Graduate, hopefully."

"Bold aspiration."

"Thanks."

"Have you ever considered doing an internship?"

"With who?"

"Me."

Pierce snorted. "For film? I don't know anything about film."

"That's exactly why you'd be perfect for the job. I'm tired of the ass-kissers. I need somebody with new ideas. To think beyond the camera and not give a shit what other people think."

"I don't know, Professor V." Pierce scratched the back of his head. He looked to Elliot, who was busy examining shades of lipstick. An internship would probably take up a lot of his time - time he could be spending with Elliot. "I should talk to my boyfriend about it."

Professor V follow his line of sight. "The one with a crowd of people around him?"

"His name's Elliot," Pierce automatically replied, perhaps too proud. "But yeah. That's him." He was so used to people referring to him as the boy with blue hair, but Professor V noticed something different. Elliot drew people near him. He had an effect on a room without even trying. He was demonstrating some sort of contour technique on Jade and an audience had formed in seconds.

Pierce stared at the scene. Elliot was laughing with Jade - which made Pierce's throat sting, not from regret or anger, but from a strange sense of relief. He never thought he'd witness that interaction. He never imagined that him and Elliot would be okay enough for that to happen, but here they were, happier than ever. Seeing Elliot talking to Jade didn't even faze him. They were stable, they were secure. They had overcome their issues.

"Real life celebrity, isn't he?" Professor V remarked about Elliot.

A superstar. "Something like that," Pierce replied.

He couldn't explain how, but he knew he should accept the internship offer. He thought about how fun it was to record video with Elliot, and how much better it would be if he actually knew what he was doing. Maybe he would get good at it and he could make it a hobby. He'd probably be bored when hockey ended and need something to keep him busy. It would be good on a resumé too. Something to help him get a job with his communications degree in the future.

He turned to Professor V, also thinking about how he still had no car or source of income. "Is it a paid internship?"