THANK YOU

June 11th 2022

AHHHH hello again! Another book complete!! Here's another letter where I babble about my writing process and how much I love y'all💙

As always, thank you for reading. I wrote this story because I kept getting comments about Elliot after I finished writing Beck and Ronan. Many of you felt that he deserved a happier ending, and honesty, y'all were RIGHT🤣...So I tried my best to think of how Elliot's character would develop after high school and what struggles he might encounter. I knew I wanted him to fall in love with his roommate (because you know me, I love a good cliché) but it was difficult to create somebody who could measure up to his high school crush Beck. I started shaping this "can do no wrong" character and realized it would be super annoying/cute to be in love with someone who has, like, the ultimate heart of gold...and voilà...Pierce came to life.

I really wanted Elliot and Pierce's love to feel lighter than the love I've written about in the past, but I also wanted to achieve a certain level of substance and risk. In order to that, I tried to explore typical issues real couples might face. To me, the issue with these two characters was never that they questioned if they were right for each other, but rather, questioned if it was worth putting in the effort to get through their struggles. This was something I had to learn when I first started dated, and it was my older brother who gave me advice, saying that any two people can have a romantic relationship as long as those two people agree to fall in love. I thought that was very profound and I find myself still agreeing and disagreeing with that statement at times. It's such a trippy thing to think about. Is being in love voluntary or involuntary? Is it possible to block yourself off from love? Can that blockade be broken? That was really the framework for Elliot and Pierce's relationship. At their core, Pierce and Elliot are very similar, but outwardly are quite opposite. They have to face their own issues before they can face each other. Only then do they come to better understand each other and can fully commit to their relationship. The narrative for this story quickly constructed itself into Pierce accepting himself and Elliot accepting love.

Whenever I write a story, I connect with each character differently. For Something Blue specifically, I was struggling to write because I found myself not wanting Elliot and Pierce to solve their issues. I just wanted them to stay in my documents forever so I could keep writing about them always. I think that's why it took me so long to finish, and also why there are OVER SIXTY CHAPTERS!!! You guys, that's crazy. This is the longest book I've ever written. And I have never ever ever ever had this many reads before a book was even done, so that was truly UNBELIEVABLE! Thank you so much for your endless support and PATIENCE. All of you were so gracious about my work and school schedule. Your comments are so heartwarming. You make Wattpad my safe space and I hope that's how you feel whenever you read my work. And I loved seeing everyone psychoanalyze Elliot and Pierce because I'm a psych major and AGH it just made me smile every time🥲Y'all are so smart and observant and intuitive and KIND. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me throughout the whole process. I hope you enjoyed the ending and I hope to see again soon.

Reminder that my next project is Flip and Tucker. You can save it to your libraries now. I'll probably post the playlist by midsummer. If I finish writing it in a timely manner, I am already planning for the story of Mr. Mills and Patrick (which would be 90s inspired, so it'll be fun to dive into that era). BUT for now, have a lovely summer. Does anyone have any fun plans? Whatever you do, take care of yourself and be safe!🤗

Much love,
Kendall🫶🌈