some background info

Background on Angela
Angela comes from a wealthy Mexican family, she has an older sister and two younger brothers. Unfortunately, all of her family lives in Mexico, she had the opportunity to be an exchange student at Chilton. She soon met Matteo and they hit it off really well, they started dating and at the age of 17, she got pregnant with Matt. Soon after they got married in Mexico so Angela could be with her family. She did have to drop out so she could take care of her child, but she eventually got her GED and took community college courses once her kids started school. Matteo's mom, Amelia, never liked Angela and constantly makes rude comments about her and Rebecca.

Background on Matteo

Matteo also comes from a wealthy Mexican family. He has an older brother that is 12 years older than him. After Angela got pregnant Matteo proposed and they got married. He was able to continue his education, got his diploma, and went on to university. He worked part-time jobs so he could support his family with the help of his parents. He eventually followed his dad's footsteps and got a career in engineering. Ramon and Amelia - Matteo's parents - were born and raised in Jalisco, Mexico, after they got married they emigrated to the United States and moved to Hartford, Connecticut. Ramon is a fun and loving man often spending time with his kids and grandkids. He's a very hardworking man and made his fortune as an engineer. Amelia is basically like a Mexican Emily Gilmore, except it's easier to hate her. 

Background on Angela and Matteo's Relationship

Angela and Matteo met in their junior year at Chilton. By the time Angela got pregnant, they had both turned 17. They quickly got married but, divorced when Rebecca was 5. Nothing bad happened, things just didn't work out between Angela and Matteo as a married couple. They still love each other and are great friends. They occasionally get back together from time to time but it's never the right time for either of them. Matteo lives in Hartford and often visits his kids in Stars Hollow. He has a lot of family in California so every other summer he takes the kids and they spend the summer in a house he bought.

Background on Rebecca's Relationship with her Grandparents

Rebeccas has a great relationship with all her grandparents except for Amelia, Matteo's mom. Amelia never liked Angela so when Rebecca was born with lighter skin and colored eyes she took it as an opportunity to start a rumor and claim that Rebecca isn't Matteo's daughter. Which is an obvious lie, Rebecca is like Matteo in every way, from their short temper to their introverted and observant personalities. Rebecca knows what her grandmother did and doesn't make an effort to spend time with her anyway. Everyone saw the similarities between Rebecca and her dad so no one believed Amelia's rumor. Even though Angela and Matteo are divorced, Matteo's family loves Angela and she is always welcomed and invited to family events and holidays.

Background on Tristan ;)

Fun fact: Tristan, Nia, and Rebecca are actually best friends

Angela and Matteo lived with Matteo's parents until they got divorced because Ramon wanted to make sure his grandkids were well-taken care of while Matteo finished school, got a stable job, and Angela got her GED. Due to the Dugrays and the Mendoza's - Matteo's parents - being neighbors, Rebecca and Tristan met when they were two.  When Matteo and Angela got divorced, Angela took her kids and moved to Stars Hollow. Rebecca and Nia met about a week after they moved. Rebecca still went to visit her dad every weekend - Matteo never really moved out because his parents were getting lonely and Ramon got sick for a while - and spent time with Tristan. During one of the weekly trips, Nia tagged along with Rebecca, and she met Tristan - they were 6 at the time. They became fast friends and have been a trio ever since. It's usually Nia and Rebecca who got to Hartford to see Tristan but he occasionally makes an appearance in Stars Hollow.