13

AN: Becky's hair, makeup, nails, and dress for the ball^^^^^

THIRD PERSON POV

"Respira, solo respira." Becky whispered as she tried to calm herself down. God, why did I offer to participate in this bullshit? she asked herself. ("Breathe, just breathe.")

After arriving at the venue, she quickly realized that the majority of the contestants were the same. Skinny, rich, privileged girls that didn't know the definition of "no." She was one of the few non-white participants and the only one that attended a public high school.

"Hey,"

The brunette turned to see her best friend leaning against the doorway. My best friend cleans up nice, she thought. The blonde put some effort into being her escort.  He was even wearing his best suit.

She was extremely grateful that he had agreed to be her escort. The past week had been filled with fittings, diets, and dance rehearsals - not that they needed much. Unlike Rory and Dean, the pair already had experience dancing together.

"Hi,"

"How are you holding up?"

"I'm fine," she smiled, trying to seem genuine.

"Hey," the blonde started as he held her chin, forcing her to look at him. "Sabes que no me puedes hechar mentiras. Why are you anxious?" ("You know you can't lie to me.")

Becky sighed. "I don't know, I just-"

"Oh, my god. Is this your escort?"

The pair turned to see a girl with blonde shoulder-length hair holding a flask. Trying to be polite, Becky smiled and nodded.

"Omg, you're totally getting married!" she squealed before walking away, leaving the best friends stunned. The pair stared at each other as if they were reading each other's minds.

"We're never getting married."

"Ever,"

Thankfully Matteo joined them shortly after, "Hey kids."

Still shocked by the marriage comment and the fact that she was about to come out to society, the green-eyed girl could only muster a small smile.

"Last chance to shimmy down the drainpipe and go get tortas ahogadas," Matteo joked as Tristan walked away.

Becky let out a small laugh. "Me hace un favor?" she asked, deciding to ignore his offer - as tempting as it was. ("Can you do me a favor?")

"Anything for my princesa," ("princess")

"Please don't let me fall."

"Right back at you," Matteo teased, causing his daughter's anxiety to spike.

"Rebecca Alvarez Medonza, daughter of Matteo Mendoza and Angela Alvarez!"

Becky cringed at how the announcer mispronounced her name. She's lived in predominantly white neighborhoods her whole life, but not once had her name been butchered so terribly.

The brunette sighed and relaxed a bit as her father led her down the fuchsia-colored staircase. A small smile formed on her lips as she made eye contact with her blonde best friend.

When the pair successfully made it down the steps, Matteo took his daughter's hand and gave it a chaste kiss. Tristan then quickly made his way toward the girl and interlocked their arms after she bowed. He lead the green-eyed girl to the middle of the dance floor and stepped aside, waiting.