10

THIRD PERSON POV

"Ugh, I can't believe you convinced me to come with you," Becky sighed as she tried to make her sweats and long sleeve t-shirt seem as "proper" as possible.

"Come on, it'll be fine," Rory dismissed. The green-eyed girl stared at her friend as she rang the doorbell of her grandparents' home. She had agreed to accompany Rory to get a book from her grandfather since Stars Hollow High had a half day and she had practice in a few hours. But she completely forgot that Mrs. Gilmore was friends with her abuela. ("grandmother")

Rory doesn't know about the complicated relationship Becky has with her grandmother. Not because Becky doesn't trust her, but because she thinks Rory won't understand. Everywhere the girl goes she's loved and supported unconditionally, especially by her grandparents. Hell, she could crash a car or steal a yacht and she would still be seen as the "perfect" child.

The two girls were let in by one of the maids. They turned a corner and walked through a set of french doors that led them to a patio. Sitting at a table, were their grandmothers and two other women. All were dressed in luxurious expensive clothing from head to toe as they drank tea and snacked on blueberry scones.

"Rebecca? What are you doing here?" Amelia asked abruptly, causing the women to turn and stare at the teenage girls. Dark brown eyes wide, in shock at the presence of her granddaughter.

"Hola, Abuela. Good afternoon, ladies." Becky greeted, a fake smile plastered across her face. "I had a half day at school today and agreed to accompany Rory here since I have practice in a couple of hours." ("Hello, grandmother.")

Before she could respond, Amelia was cut off by one of her friends. "Abuela? Oh my god, Amelia is this your granddaughter? Oh, she's just gorgeous!" a blonde woman with a fancy updo gushed. ("Grandmother?")

She gave the woman a tight-lipped smile, but as she was about to respond a redhead seated across from her interrupted. "Oh she's Matteo and Angela's girl, isn't she? Look at those eyes, she gets those from her mother. Doesn't she? Oh, Angela had the most beautiful eyes."

"Walk around, sweetie."

"Sunny, leave the girl alone," Mrs. Gilmore scolded.

"I just want to see if she inherited the walk. Matteo had such a specific walk." the woman with the blonde fancy updo continued.

"Fast," the redhead added.

"That was it. And it leaned to the left a little, almost like a strut."

After Becky took an awkward lap around the patio, they started swooning over Rory, leaving her shocked and in a daze. The way her grandmother's friends spoke so highly of her and her mother and ignored the fact that she doesn't much like her dad shocked her. She expected them to act more like her grandmother.

She was snapped out of her thoughts as Rory put her hand on her shoulder, signaling toward the house. The two girls excused themselves and went to get what they came for.

When the teenage girls returned to the patio all the women, except for Amelia, turned toward Rory, eyes wide with excitement. As the other women bombarded Rory about her "debut to society," she stayed in her chair with a solemn look on her face.

Noticing her grandmother's glum expression, Becky kneeled by her chair. "Abuela, esta bien?" she asked quietly. She might have a complicated relationship with her, but she still cares. Becky isn't sure why, though. Maybe it's because she wants her grandmother to love her the way she loves her brothers and cousins.