Part Two Matts POV 하나

I'm not shocked when I wake up in the future, such is my belief in the power of prayer. When I wake up married to Lydia Bae, I'm not shocked. My first thought is, I can't force her to stay married.

When Id prayed to God to help me be with Lydia, I believed it would happen. I also believed that I would be sent into the future, because I didn't plan on being Lydias boyfriend. I wanted to be her husband. I was and am serious about her.

In the Bible it says, ask and it shall be given to you, seek and you shall find. It might seem wrong to pray for someone to fall in love with you, but I'd had my heart set on it since I'd first met her at language school. Hear me out.

I knew that underneath all her talk, she had a good heart. I'd seen the way she was with her dad. One time I saw her playing with her dad, even though we're teenagers. Make that more than one time. She'd be waiting for her brother to finish his lesson and she'd play a game with her dad. The thing is, it was never just a simple game. They always came up with really fun games that a stranger would want to participate in. One time I saw them play badminton with a balloon. They were laughing hysterically. I don't know where they even got the balloon from. Sometimes I get the feeling Lydia kept things like balloons in her pocket to entertain her dad. That's the thing about dads. They're supposed to be the adult but they get bored just as easily as kids. And there was Lydia, being the adult, and my heart melted. Just melted. I knew it was probably wrong to pray for love, but I did. I wanted her to be my wife. And then bam, I woke up ten years in the future with her in my bed. Of course, I couldn't force her to stay married to me. So what I did was, I planned.

First, there was Ethan. I had to search him out. Guess how easy it was? I came out of my own apartment (how cool is that— I owned property!) and then I didn't even need to use the internet to search his MySpace.

His photos were everywhere. All over the billboards! How cool is that, I thought. Here's Ethan, famous even though he's Asian! I saw they were advertising a movie based on his book.

So obviously, what do you think I did?

I went to the movie theatre. But before I could, there was an insistent beeping. I had a patient, apparently, and I was on call. I was a doctor. A psychiatrist. Dammit! I'd far rather be an author. Those lucky bastards.

So I sighed, and went to see my first patient of the day, who was a girl aged twenty one. Imagine my surprise when I saw Lydia!

Now, how do I explain this. It's science fiction, but you get the basic concept. You've read it before. Lydia was here, but thirty year old Lydia was also somewhere around, and if I was right twenty one year old Matt was also around. I had to get to twenty one year old Lydia because I had a feeling thirty years old Lydia was not a virgin.

Sorry, but I was jealous!

I was also jealous of myself, because I had a feeling he would be sleeping with Lydia, in the hospital, and lose his job. I had to make sure I didn't lose my job or the girl! Sorry, I know I'm so Asian.

I ran to work, and parked the car, and saw my first patient.

She was sucking on a nicotine inhaler. Makeup smeared her eyes. She was bone thin, like she'd been on some kind of drug. They ran tests. Ritalin.

"He doesn't care about me," was the first thing she said to me, her doctor. Who was she talking about?

"Matt," she said. "Matt Kim rejected me! Wah!"

How could this be? I realised she was talking about me, aged twenty. Aged twenty I must've been really adventurous, and wanted my freedom, and gone on a gap year or something. That's my guess. I skipped it so I didn't know. How could I explain this to her? I would never have rejected her, I probably just wasn't ready for marriage then. How would I know what twenty felt like? I only knew 17 and 30. Puppy love and wanting to settle down.