Part two Matts Pov- 둘

I grip the steering wheel tightly. After I came into the future I was in such a hurry to get Lydia to stay married to me that I haven't even had a chance to breathe. Is this really what I want, to force someone to love me?

I think about all that has transpired. My dad, with his missing teeth. My mum, agreeing to help me. I haven't even had a chance to take it all in. I haven't had a chance to even get to know my parents again, I was just in such a hurry to use them.

I decide then that I need to pray to go back to my time. But as much as I pray and pray it doesn't work. Am I stuck here then?

When Lydia gets in the car she starts accusing me of knowing something that she doesn't know. So I tell her. I tell her that I prayed to be with her, and then came into the future and then asked my dad to fake a mental breakdown so that she might feel sorry for me and like me.

"I wonder what the science is behind it,' she says.

'Me too,' he says. 'But I figure, if In the future you invent time travel... then that's how you're doing all this.

'Did you think to go that far?'

'Not yet,' I reply.

'Why hasn't ninety year old Lydia and Matt visited us?'

'I don't know,' I say. 'To keep some things a mystery?'

'If 20 year old me visited me to make sure that I end up with you, what happened to 20 year old you?' She says.

He must be on the other side of the world, travelling, and the only way to find out is the book of ages.

'Hold on,' I say, and open up my book of ages to chapter 21, titled, happy families.

Ethan's biological dad is reading the newspaper and drinking a mock tail. Apparently he's had seven years of sobriety and doesn't want to ruin it. Ethan's biological mother is here, too. They don't talk much to each other, but after she turned down an offer to tell her story about being a comfort woman to the newspaper, he warmed up to her, and she didn't quite forgive him but for Ethan's sake, she's here. His foster parents are here too. They've finally got a grandkid to show off, and he, to my great surprise, gets along really well with my own kid.
Ethan has a sister, a foster sister, which I never knew. Her kid is mixed race, and she gets along with our kids even though they look different. I thought the mixed race kid might be a little snooty, but right now he's playing with the man who is not related to him at all—Ethan's Japanese dad—and trying to pull down his newspaper to look at him.
'Look at me, uncle!' He shouts, and everybody laughs because the man is not his uncle and far too old to be anything but a grandparent.
As for my family? We have one in the oven and one that's running around, playing with Ethan's kid. It's a rare holiday, and we haven't actually seen Ethan's family for five years. Our lives moved on, but an event that Ethan was invited to meant he had a budget to invite others, and this happened.
Ethan has had so many girlfriends and I've only ever had the one, so I'm a bit jealous, I'll admit.
In the end he settled with a Korean girl, a hairdresser.
He gets along surprisingly well with his dad, the former war criminal. They both read a lot and keep their emotions mostly to themselves.
My wife had a lot of qualms about going on holiday with their family.
I'm having flashbacks, she said, remembering how Ethan had said to her, you're full Asian.
What if his niece and son are the same?
Id tried to reassure her. It's okay, it's different now.
The minute we'd met at the airport, she'd already worked herself into a frenzy imagining that the kids would bully her own kid, our kid. She'd worried, privately, that our son, who had, God bless him, been raised in Korea (we went back) and not seen a lot of mixed race families, might get a little crush on the little mixed race girl and get rejected.
She'd been so worried but in the end, what had happened was this;
She'd come off the plane, child in tow, and he'd said, in Korean, she has hair like grandmas hair. (their grandma had a perm) she is beautiful too, he says with a smile.

'Wait stop reading,' says Lydia.

She's got her hands in fists and she's crying, tears leaking out before she can stop them.

'What's wrong?' Says Matt, his long but small eyes growing huge and alarmed.

'That's my future kid you're writing about.'

'I guess so.'

'I'm not ready to meet him yet.'

'Me either.'

'But my God, I-I want to one day.'

'Me too.'

'Matt-' she looks at him with a shyness that he's never seen before. She steps away from him, and he can see that she's trembling. 'You're so fit,' she says suddenly. 'And I'm old and wobbly.'

'We're the same age.'

She keeps stepping away from him.

"Have you tried praying to go back?" She asks.

"Yeah but it doesn't work. I think this is a case of be careful what you wish for."