Epilogue- updated

The reunion was held at a function centre with an open bar. John Anderson was the first to arrive and went directly for the open bar, his fiancé whining as he did so.

"Drinks are on me!" He yelled.

"Open bar until nine," said the bartender, who ever since the invention of truthchat had been unable to send political messages to his fellow socialists at university and who thus despised John Anderson. "Drinks are on him after nine!"'said the bartender.

John Anderson grinned. He knew the boy hates him but he wasn't a socialist anymore. He'd gotten too powerful to be a socialist, and being a time traveller made it impossible for the socialists to win. Unless that girl Lydia was a socialist? She didn't seem all that political, just romance- obsessed.

He felt good tonight. He was hoping to run into Ethan Lee, whose memoir had been a rollicking good read. Of course, it didn't paint him in the nicest light. In fact, it made it seem like he rejected Ethan after Ethan discovered the truth about his heritage. He hadn't rejected Ethan! He'd just thought it was sort of tragic. And tragedy made John Anderson uncomfortable. Especially when they were semi- related, something they barely acknowledged. Why write about your family? You were asking to be estranged.

"Ethan!" Yelled John when he saw him across the room. "There you are mate!"

"Hey man," said Ethan, but refused a drink. He seemed in a hurry to get away. John sulked. He even went so far as to follow Ethan just a little, to see what he did. He saw Ethan stop when he saw some Asian girl. Wait— wasn't that Lydia lee? Lydia Kim? John sighed. He felt a little left out. He overheard them talking.

"Lydia— about the haircut..."

"Hey Ethan," said Lydia. "I'm here with Matt. We're married."

"Yeah I know. I just thought..."

"Ethan, I'm really sorry you're going through what you're going through. It's all water under the bridge."

"What I did was unforgivable."

"It's really all water under the bridge."

"Do you think we could talk outside?"

"I might have entertained some thoughts about you," said Lydia, "but that's what happens when you get married. Seven year itch, as they say. But you know we're just friends, right?"

"Then why did you..."

"Add you on Facebook? So I can progress my career, Ethan. I'd love to write a memoir too, you know? And why will I probably contact you ten years from now?"

"I'd rather you didn't. I need closure, I don't want this constant back and forth, these games."

"Look, I—I feel the same way."

Lydia looked over at Matt. "I love him, Ethan. And I do forgive you, because it wasn't until I had a taste of my own medicine... until I realised how much it sucks when someone judges you... I just feel like ten years from now our kids will be competing and history will repeat itself."

Ethan looked at Lydia with glistening eyes. "You think my kids will not be able to speak Korean? Or that my kids will do what I did and hurt your kids?"

"I can't help it, I worry about the future. Not just ten but twenty, thirty, forty... what if my daughter falls for your son and he hurts her and— I want to warn her, is all."

"I promise that won't happen,' said Ethan. "I'll raise them right. And here's my card, I'll put you in touch with my agent. I'll make sure my kids read your book so history doesn't repeat itself."

They shook hands. Lydia felt professional and satisfied, but no lust.

She extracted herself from Ethan and went to Matt. The two of them did seem like a married couple. John even overheard them bickering about the parking outside. They made up quickly though, passionately. He looked over at his fiancé. He wasn't sure if he was ready for marriage. Then he heard them laugh, and Lydia smacked matts butt and leaned into him.