8. Sparks

Edwin jumps to say yes when Caroline asks him if he's up for another night at Bonaparte. Everything is better with other people and now that he lives alone, he has to go out for company. It is also an excellent opportunity to see Caroline again. She's been over a few times and he has been to hers, but the past weeks, she's been too busy with a project at work.

The night is colder than in May and under his jacket, Edwin has dressed in a thick, woollen jumper and his usual brown trousers. "You're hiding all your assets!" Caroline exclaims when she sees him. She's wearing a coat and a knee-length dress, her legs clad in skin-coloured nylons.

"I'm not here to hook up," Edwin grumbles. How would he pick up a guy here? They were all so confident, so experienced. No one seemed out of place except him. No, he's not going home with a stranger tonight and he's not gonna risk one of his new friendships for emotional comfort. He will have to wait for the right guy to come along.

"No, but a little flirting has never harmed anyone. You gotta practise, test the waters."

"Assuming anyone catches my eye."

"Are you that picky?" Caroline laughs and it sounds louder in the dark, despite the music from several places in the neighbourhood.

"Yeah, yeah. I know you aren't."

"And it has served me well. Just be open to whatever happens."

It is hot inside the bar and Edwin considers leaving his jumper with his jacket. Like last time, they join a table to the left of the entrance. Edwin recognises several faces, among which Eliane. He nods at her in greeting, but she's intently listening to a short, black woman and only lifts her hand.

He leans in and whispers in Caroline's ear: "I have forgotten so many names."

She chuckles. "Give me a minute and I'll help you out." She moves around the table to greet everyone with a hug or a kiss on the cheek and Edwin follows her. He's not sure if she does it on purpose, but she calls quite a few people by name and Edwin does his best to permanently stick the names to their corresponding faces.

When they've done their rounds, Caroline fills in what he missed and Edwin relaxes. Last time, he didn't get further than acquaintances, but these can be his friends as well as Caroline's. They're his people, no less than Patrick and Robert and the other men he's met.

"Should I go buy our drinks again?"

"Yes, please." Caroline shoots him a blinding smile.

Standing at the bar, he remembers the man who approached him, the knots of unease in his belly. He's nowhere to be seen now. When he returns and hands Caroline her drink, she gestures at the person next to her he hadn't noticed yet. "Remember Vincent?"

And Edwin does remember. The dark brown skin, gleaming in the dim light and the moving shadows, the dark eyes, the glittering make-up on his eyelids, the flashy clothes. The make-up is the same as last time, but he's showing less skin now, even though his clothes are still colourful and fit and feminine.

"He's here too for the evening," Caroline continues.

"Darling, I practically live here!" Vincent places a hand with several rings on her arm. "But glad to see you came back. I wouldn't have wanted to scare you off." He holds out his hand. "Edwin, wasn't it? Don't look so surprised, honey, I have manners."

Edwin grips the offered hand. Vincent's palm is dry and warm and his index finger touches the thin skin on Edwin's wrist. The spot still tingles when they let go. He's not sure what to say. Vincent disrupts his balance.

And he has no qualms about using the gap in the conversation to push. He did that in May too and Edwin wants to push back, to not fall. "You still dress like a straight man, though. You sure you don't want any fashion lessons from me? I dress people as well as I undress them." A frisson trickles down Edwin's back, anger or something else.