Chapter III-The Stone City of Ghunwah

On the 16th Poseidon 1900 ABM Scarr awoke awhile before dawn, they were in total darkness and Scarr began preparing breakfast, he warmed up the rest of the soup and shared it between him and Ki'lak. After they had finished eating the suns had already began to light up the world around them and as Scarr looked around he noticed the lake is not too far from them. Scarr then started to repack the gear while Ki'lak put out the fire, they then both got on the same horse and began riding west without speaking to each other. The trees were thirty feet high and the leaves were bright green with flowers blooming because they were coming to the end of spring.
They rode on without a second delay and Scarr wouldn't stop his horse because he's eager to find Rickalas before it's too late. They arrived closer to the edge of the forest, as they approached the end they came across a small cave with a fluffle of rabbits playing and then the very next second, they were dead. Ki'lak was gone and the trees were burning, he could hear the screams of woman and children in the distance and the clang of sword against sword and the rustling of armour, he closed his eyes and found himself overlooking the city of Warican.
He's atop a grand palace the city below him burning while there's warriors battling in the streets against a fiend, something he has never in his life seen, and they're made up of nothing but black dust flouting in the air while at the same time they adopted the stance of a man. They gave of the most fearsome battle cry that made the mighty Scarr tremble in fear. The women and children are heading for the safety of the palace walls and all Scarr could think of was saving the princess. The city began to be overrun by these fiends of darkness and as Scarr went to find the princess he heard a man's voice shouting out to him, "Scarr, beware the third great war!" The voice shouted.
A strange force reached out to him while in blinding pain he opened his eyes and found himself on the floor with Ki'lak kneeling over him, "are you all right sir," Ki'lak asked. Scarr looked up at Ki'lak and reached out his hand which Ki'lak grabbed and helped him up. "I am fine, let us carry on," he answered, Scarr didn't want to tell Ki'lak about the vision because he didn't want to worry him about his home. The vision troubled him alas he wanted to know more about this third great war and even the first two before it. Scarr and Ki'lak arrived out of the forest and they were in open air again.
Scarr's eyes moved across the open field and he remembered the vision and he started to worry about the future, "what is wrong? You look troubled," asked Ki'lak, Scarr turned to face him and he looked right into his eyes with a saddened expressionand then spoke, "we are not going to make it, we need to get to the Embleton desert by later on today," Ki'lak nodded his head in agreement. The journeys taking too long and if they're not quick enough Rickalas will be dead, "I have an idea but you can not tell anyone," whispered Scarr.
Scarr meant what he said because he's going to show Ki'lak that he can teleport and anyone with an hint of vampiric blood in them can gain at least three powers, although in rare cases some have acquired more. At the moment I have made you aware of two of Scarr's abilities locater and teleport, although Scarr may have just seen the future that's not an ability he has. I suspect some outside influence maybe to blame, there are many different powers out there that we will cover later on as and when they are used. Ki'lak agreed not to tell anyone, Scarr, Ki'lak and their horse vanished and then reappeared again right outside a stone door in the mountain face.
The teleport didn't even phase Ki'lak as if it isn't the first time he has teleported, "where are we," asked Ki'lak, Scarr turned to face him drained from using too much energy teleporting answered his question, "we are outside the Hollow Mountain a few hours from Warican," Ki'lak saw tension in Scarr's eyes and he longed to know what's making him angry. Ki'lak whispered, "so why did you not teleport us all the way to the Embleton desert?" Scarr placed his left hand on the stone doors looking at the carvings which is a combination of symbols which represents the dwarven speech, Scarr turned to face Ki'lak.
Ki'lak watched the symbols on the door curiously while Scarr's speaking, "because, behind these doors is one of the dwarven cities and there is magical wards to prevent teleporting through," Scarr muttered, Scarr untied his swords from his horse and then tied them to his waist while he then proceeded to warn Ki'lak to be on his guard as most dwarves can't be trusted. As he finished speaking the great stone doors began to open, Ki'lak became very alert and listening to Scarr's warning he gripped his sword by the hilt that's tied to his waist.
The doors are halfway open but Ki'lak and Scarr couldn't see inside because it's dark and so they both remained calm. Scarr gripped the reins of his horse as the stone doors were fully ajar and two dwarves walked out, they were as tall as Scarr's waist, they have long grey beards and an axe each. They eyed Scarr and Ki'lak with the evilest expression, "what is your business here? Speak," said one of the dwarves. Ki'lak put his head down because he didn't want to anger them, he left Scarr to handle it and he knew they were only dwarves but he wouldn't underestimate them.
Scarr began to think before he spoke as he didn't want to offend them with his words, "we seek refuge, our business is our own," Scarr said placing his hands on both his sword hilts and as he did this one dwalf eyed Scarr and gripped his own axe tighter, "then we welcome you to the dwarven city of Ghunwah, please follow me," whispered one of the dwarves. The two dwarves turned and walked back into the stone doors while Scarr and Ki'lak followed them and they led them down a dark passageway lit by dim stick touches. They continued down the passageway u till they arrived into open space with more dwarves guarding other tunnel entrances.
They stopped in the centre of the room and the two dwarves turned to face them, "give us your weapons," Scarr and Ki'lak didn't like what the dwarf asked as they both took their swords out of there sheaths and held them at arms length. "Guards," said one of the dwarves and as he spoke six more dwarves rushed out to Scarr and Ki'lak with their axes pointing towards them. "Now what is your true business in Ghunwah, Guardian," Scarr's shocked to hear that he knows what he is because the dwarves don't know what goes on outside their mountains as they try to keep out of outside affairs.
Scarr didn't want to answer straight away because he knew that if a wrong word is said it would turn into a fight and he didn't want to spill blood unnecessarily. He could take them out no problem but he knew it would create problems for the politics of the Azzard, "you know who I am," Scarr asked, the dwarf turned to face Scarr with a very angered expression because Scarr didn't answer his question. "Yes, I do, but you did not answer my question," shouted the dwarf. Another dwarf entered the room but unlike the others he had a crown on his head.
Scarr's eyes lit up with relief as he saw the dwarf enter the room, "Dran, lower your axe and the rest of you lower your axes," said the lord dwarf, "Scarr and friend sheath your swords," Scarr nodded to the lord, he sheathed his sword and told Ki'lak to do the same. The other dwarves surrounding them also put there axes away, "Lord Dwain, what are you doing here? I thought your home is at the Dwarven Keep," asked Scarr. Dran looked to Scarr and then to Lord Dwain and he wondered how they knew each other.
Lord Dwain walked over to Scarr and Scarr lent down to his eye level as they both embraced each other, "yes, it is, but I sometimes come here to see my cousin, the lord of this mountain, now why have you come here Scarr son of Scabies?" muttered Lord Dwain. Scarr asked if they could speak to him in private and Lord Dwain agreed to it, " of course, leave us," he said. The six dwarves including Dran disappeared down a dark corridor as Scarr then began to explain his business in Ghunwah as well as telling him about Rickalas, the lost city and all the dark energy he sensed there.
Lord Dwain began to explain that he knew this city as it can be seen upon the horizon as you leave the mountain and that it's lifeless and nothing but a graveyard, "yes, you may have safe passage. Find your friend but do not expect it to be easy," whispered Lord Dwain. Scarr and Ki'lak are very happy that they have safe passage. "Thank you, but I have another favour, can I leave my horse and Ki'lak here to await my return," asked Scarr, Ki'lak didn't look happy that Scarr's leaving him behind but he knew he had no other choice.
He said that it's fine and shouted for his guards, without a second delay Dran and another dwarf appeared, "Dran escort Scarr to the boarder of the city, Dane take his horse to the stables and Ki'lak you will remain with me," Scarr thanked Dwain and followed Dran down a passage facing the one they walked out of when they first arrived in the city. They continued walking down many different passageways which all looked the same and he knew that if Dran wasn't with him he would of gotten lost. It took them half an hour but finally they left the tunnels and they were now in a vast city.
The city's massive, there's stone buildings built into the mountain face although there's also stone buildings on the ground and there were dwarves and small dwarf children walking about, "welcome to the stone city of Ghunwah," muttered Dran, as Scarr looked around he noticed that the city mountain tops were open because he could see the sky above. "It is beautiful," whispered Scarr, they carried on walking through the city and the dwarves are walking past Scarr as quickly as possible and putting their heads down because they're not use to seeing strangers in their city, especially tall people.
Scarr couldn't stop looking around the city, he had never seen anything as beautiful before, except Plutopia of course. "You are the first outsider to see the city in five hundred years," he said as they continued walking, Scarr had no idea where he's going. "I am honoured," Scarr muttered. Dran began to say that he's hungry and before they went any further he's going to the inn to get some food. Scarr didn't like the idea, he just wanted to find Rickalas as quickly as possible but he knew he had no other choice, so he agreed to go to the inn. Scarr thought, "dam dwarves, always thinking with their stomachs" the inn isn't very far from where they were and eventually, they arrived at their destination.
They entered the inn, it's full of dwarves who were all drinking and singing at the top of their voices. Scarr and Dran sat down at a table and a dwarf brought over plates of food, thick chunks of meat on the bone and they both began eating. The atmospheres dull and dark, there's a few candles that lit the room and torches on the wall. "So, tell me where are your fellow Guardians," asked Dran eating his meat, Scarr replied, "I left them in the city of Mallace, it is too dangerous to bring them with me," they both continued eating their meat and drinking their ale. Even though the room was dark the dwarves singing was enough to light up the room.
******
    Ki'lak and Lord Dwain were in a large chamber that as a bed, a stone wardrobe, a stone desk and again with more torches on the wall. They're both sat down on stone chairs talking amongst themselves, "so Ki'lak, tell me about yourself, are you a Guardian like Scarr," asked Dwain, Ki'lak paused for a moment about to say something and then realised what he was about to say, Ki'lak thought, "wait now isn't the right time" he then began to say something different, "no, I am not a Guardian, I am from the city of Warican my lord," Ki'lak answered.
    Dwain tried to look him in the eye as he's curious to know why he's with Scarr if he's not a Guardian but Ki'lak just turned away his gaze. "If you are not a Guardian, than why are you with Scarr? If you do not mind me asking," asked Dwain, Ki'lak didn't want to tell him the reason so he lied and said he was hunting in the Western Forest when he found him and that Scarr told him his plight so he offered to lend aid. Dwain knew that Ki'lak's lying but he didn't want to press him and he knew there would be a perfectly good reason for his secrecy.
    He also knew that there's more to this man than meets the eye and he also gains a sense of familiarity towards him but he has never seen him before. "So how did you first meet Scarr," asked Ki'lak. He didn't want to answer Ki'lak's question but he did to ease his curiosity.
Lord Dwain began to tell the story:
    "It was forty years ago, at my home the Dwarven Keep, which is a fortress in the mountain face to the far north, I was but a teen in the shadow of my father, a great leader. An army emerged from the Underworld called forth by a dark powerful magic on our very doorstep, we called for aid and the council of lords sent the Guardians who are mightier than any army of thousands and together this common foe was vanquished and ever since that day we have been friends, he was my idle. I looked up to him and because of that I went on to become a great leader in my own right, now if you want details you best ask Scarr, for I am not as young as I once was and my memory seems to fail me," muttered Lord Dwain.
    Ki'lak smiled, there's so much history revolving around Scarr, he appreciated the lord's honesty, "wow so Scarr as been in many battles," asked Ki'lak. Dwain didn't know how to answer the question but he did. "Yes, it is said that Scarr's over nine hundred years old and he has fought in many different battles," answered Dwain. He smiled at Ki'lak and he hoped that's the last of his curiosity. Dwain stood up and he held a hand out to Ki'lak to do the same. Lord Dwain decided that they're both going to get something to eat so they both got up and left the chamber and continued towards the beer hall.
                                      ****
    Rickalas awoke in the grand hall, he walked over to the window again and eyed the tomb that's furthest away. He had regained most of his memory's, he knew his name and that he's a Guardian. He now as the urge to explore the tomb furthest away, like a strong force pulling him towards it and he needed to find out where he is. He walked through a door opposite from where he was stood and started walking towards a flight of stairs and he then emerged in the valley of tombs. He began walking towards the furthest tomb while the desert sands were still littered with bone fragments and rusted weapons he realised he felt the place familiar, somehow. He feels he's been here before but hasn't as far as he can recall.
    He noticed that all the tombs he walked past as a statue outside of a powerful warrior, again familiar. He eventually got to the tomb he's walking towards and the statue outside looked even more familiar to him, he knew he had seen this man in recent memory but couldn't figure out where. He felt a sense of hatred and even though he had all his memories back when he tried to remember who the statue was something would block his memory. The entrance to the tomb is blocked by a stone door that's sealed by a magical force. He reached out to touch the door, unknown of what would happen, fear gripped him, he hoped that nothing would happen and at the same time he hoped that it did, finally he reached out and he touched the cold hard door.
                                     ******
    Ki'lak and Lord Dwain are sat at the table in the beer hall, there are large stone tables with dwarves sat at every one and the dwarves are used to Ki'lak's presence by now because they've been there for over an hour. They all were laughing and joking with him while also singing and dancing and Ki'lak felt thankful the princess sent him to find Scarr because he's having the time of his life. They're all eating and drinking and they're all trading stories between one another. The beer hall also has stone pillars that support the ceiling and again more torches and candles lighting up the room, Ki'lak couldn't help but worry about Scarr and wondered if he had found Rickalas.
                                  ******
    Scarr and Dran had finished their meal and had continued onto the border to the Embleton desert. They walked through the city not speaking to anybody or each other until finally they arrived into another network of tunnels and they continued walking through the maze. "So, what do you seek in the valley of the dead," asked Dran, Scarr turned to face him, he didn't want to answer his question, but he thought it wouldn't hurt. "The valley of the dead," asked Scarr confused, "I seek a friend of mine his name is Rickalas," Dran looked shocked to find out Scarr didn't know what the valley is.
    Dran proceeded to explain that the valley of the dead gets its name because it is said that long ago there was a great war between good and evil and it came to be known as the first great war. The bones of that epic battle still litter the sands and the valleys said to be haunted by the souls of those dead warriors cursed to never rest. So Scarr now knows a bit about the first great war but he wanted to know more and he also still needed to find out about the second great war. Scarr and Dran arrived near an open archway in the mountain face and as they looked through it, they saw the Embleton desert and the ruined city on the horizon.
    They both walked through the arch door way and they were stood on top of a flight of stairs that led to the desert floor. "This is as far as I go my friend, I do not do ghosts, I hope you find your friend," whispered Dran. Scarr thanked him and began walking down the stairs, when he got to the bottom he began walking towards the city.
                                   ******