Chapter XVIII-Footsteps of the Forefathers

It's the 30th Poseidon 1900 ABM and the Azzard as fallen, the Slaads have seized control over all the cities the Guardians were trying to protect although Sol and the Dwarven Keep were very much safe, for the moment. Archangel Girian saved all the Guardians from the lords of the Azzards betrayal and he's brought them to the rendezvous point inside the Hollow mountains, where the statues of the kings of old laid. Present are as follows: Archangel Girian, Scarr, Rickalas, Johnkal, Niklaus, Trogen, Ki'lak, Kelsia, Lucyia, Ja'nel and Rosarlea who had survived her wound thanks to Girian healing her.
     They all had been talking amongst themselves of the horrors they experienced this night although Rickalas remained silent because he's still playing the events of Damo's passing over and over inside his mind, "Rickalas tell me what happened at the wizard's towers," asked Scarr. Rickalas turned to look upon Kelsia, knowing the news he brings will surely break her heart, but he knew it has to be done, "I am sorry Kelsia, what I am going to say will surely hurt everyone," he gulped, they had all noticed Spiros and Damo are missing and Kelsia feared the worst.
     She assumed Spiros had been killed and as she hoped he hadn't Rickalas spoke those heartbreaking words, "Spiros betrayed us all, he is the helmed man that you saw in Faryal and Damo tried to stop him but sadly paid the price," Kelsia fell to the floor, hand on heart and face wet with tears as she felt her heart breaking between her breasts. "Truth be told, for a moment I actually thought Damo was a traitor, but it was his eyes that reassured me, Damo's eyes were blue but when I looked into the helmed man's eyes, they were brown," cried Johnkal.
     Kelsia's still sobbing upon the floor and while the other girls were comforting her she spoke, "please tell me Damo was put to rest, did he have a warriors death," Rickalas told them that he didn't, he also told them how Spiros was a coward by cutting off his hands and he then told them that the entry wound was on his back. "I carried his body from the towers as they were collapsing around us," Rickalas explained, "I then built a pyre, placed his body upon it and cleaned him up," they all stood saddened as he explained and a few of them where even filling up with tearful eyes.
     It became very hard for Rickalas to get the words to leave his mouth but as soon as he found the strength he continued, "I placed two coins upon his eyes and set him ablaze, I then watched as the Elder gods carried him to Elysium," he turned his back to them in order to hide a tear that managed to escape his left eye and the others were well aware of why he hides from them. Although they didn't speak of it because they were all also feeling it and fighting to keep back the tears, but some aren't as strong as others, "he is at peace, feasting in the halls of our ancestors," he cried.
     The strength they all fought desperately hard to keep slipped away from them and as they all gave in to their pain their tears began to drown them. In that moment, they all took a moments silence in honour of their fallen brother, with sorrow in their hearts and vengeance hot upon their thoughts. After a few moments passed Kelsia said something to them that would make them all choke on their breath, "what am I going to do, I am pregnant," and as she continued to sob the others turned to face her and looked upon her with shock in their eyes.
     No one could believe what they had just heard, they all couldn't help but feel sorry for her and out of everyone present here she's the one suffering most. To find out your husband's not the man you thought he was and to learn that he just used her to get to the Guardians, it really is unforgiving. "Excuse me," Scarr panted. Kelsia tried to stand up while the other girls still held onto her because she's still weak at the knees, "Spiros is the father. Obviously. If it is a boy I was going to name him Azzur," Kelsia smiled, "after the Azzur you told us about Rickalas, I guess I was inspired by him," she finished.
     Scarr smiled at her and she tried to smile back in return but she couldn't as she's still hurting from Spiros's betrayal, "do not worry Kelsia nothing is going to happen to you or your child and of course you are aware that Spiros can never find out about this," Rickalas explained. Kelsia understood and agreed with him as Rickalas turned towards Scarr, "Scarr did you find what you was looking for in Warican," Scarr looked upon Rickalas then upon everyone else who were also looking upon him. "Not exactly, princess Alcmene was not there, her mother said they was kidnapped by the Slaads and taken to Plutopua," he explained.
     Trogen thought upon that for a moment and realised something that everyone else seemed to have missed, "they, you said they Scarr. Care to elaborate," he asked. Scarr looked at him and smiled as he was hoping someone would click onto that miner detail, "yes, our daughter was also taken, Marcella," whispered Scarr. Everyone started to question him over the fact that he's a father, "yes, and get this Rickalas she also bears the mark of the chosen one my father was telling us about," Scarr also explained to Ki'lak what happened to the lord of Warican and upon hearing the news it hurt him.
     Rickalas couldn't believe what he's hearing, that a mark existed on someone fully grown two thousand years ago is now upon a child barely out of infancy, "seriously, you mean the one from under two thousand years ago," Rickalas questioned. As Scarr nodded his head in a yes motion everyone else is still pondering over the fact he's a father, "yes, so you all know what I need to do and I go alone, as for the rest of you. Girian as agreed that you are to go with him to Faryal Illhum upon the seventh dimension," Scarr promised.
     They all agreed with him except for Ki'lak and Rickalas, "you are to stay with the angels until things quiet down, we really were in the middle of the heart of chaos and we failed. We may have lost the battle but I assure you now we have not lost the war," Rickalas and Ki'lak protested against his choice to go to Plutopua alone and they demanded he reconsidered. It took some persuasion on their part before Scarr changed his mind and he finally agreed to take them with him.
     In truth he's actually happy that they will back him up and in this they all share thought, Rickalas and Ki'lak wouldn't let him march into Plutopua alone which is now the enemy's capital and Scarr never expected them to stand by. As they said their goodbyes to Scarr, Ki'lak and Rickalas as it will be many long years before they see each other again, Girian vanished he has returned home along with the others to Faryal Illhum. Scarr, Rickalas and Ki'lak prepared for their journey into the jaws of the enemy.
                                        ******
     Hours after they all parted ways, Rickalas, Scarr and Ki'lak were making their way through Plutopua undetected, they were hooded and cloaked and their faces couldn't be seen. They had ditched their Guardian uniforms as to not draw to much attention to themselves and they're now in civilian clothing. They also have the cover of darkness to their advantage as the eclipse is still in session and it would stay that way until next year. The battle was over but the city's still in flames, the skies were swarming with the nothing, and the Spireton's were patrolling the streets.
Although none of them bothered them as the people had been given free reign of the city, it looked as if the Spireton's were rounding people up and escorting them to the city centre were the markets, shops and town square is located. As they were walking through the city, they heard a Spireton shout in a deep high pitched voice to them from behind, "oi," all three of them stopped in their tracks and gulped at the same time, "what are you doing here, get to the town square," the Spireton finished. Scarr said ok to him and they began moving towards the town square to see what the commotion's about.
The Spireton watched them from behind as they all made their way towards the town square when Ki'lak whispered to the others, "what an idiot," the others laughed as he said it, he's talking about the Spireton over the fact that he didn't get suspicious over three hooded men acting inconspicuously. They thanked the gods for it though as it was a relief they didn't get busted. They arrived at the city centre were all the people are gathered and as they were looking around to see what was going on that's when they noticed.
At the front of all the people there's a stage and upon this stage is the wizard himself, Spiros and a giant of a man who's unfamiliar to them. The giant wielded a massive axe of a weapon' the kind executioners use and he's sharpening it also, he wore a black mask and he also stood sixteen feet tall. Scarr looked towards what appeared to be a chopping block, which there's a man upon it and as he raised his head up with his long unwashed hair in his face which he flicked back, he could now see who it is. It's his father Scabies and as soon as he saw him he went for his swords.
Rickalas rushed over and stopped Scarr's hands from drawing his blades, he looked into his eyes and nodded his head in a no motion, which then Scarr looked around and noticed they were vastly outnumbered. There's a Spireton upon every corner and as much as he wanted to save his father he knew that if they fell this day than no one would save Alcmene and Marcella. So, he took his hands off his blades and thanked Rickalas for relieving him from his temporary madness, Rickalas smiled and let go of his hands as they both turned back to Scabies once more.
The executioners sat down upon a block still sharpening his axe, while Spiros is stood back smirking with his hands crossed and Tranver began to speak to Scabies, "Scabies. My old friend, you have been charged with treason against the Slaad empire, how do you plead brother," he smirked. Scabies tried to turn and face him but could only just because he's chained to the chopping block and as he did, he spat in the direction of Tranver and spoke, "guilty as charged and I am not your brother Slaad scum, get it over with," he demanded.
Tranver signalled the executioner to ready himself, he looked disappointed with Scabies's reply and then he finished, "than you give me no choice. Execute him," the people of Plutopua started going into a panic cursing the Slaads and cheering Scabies's name. Letting the wizard know that they will never submit to them and honouring their once great leader. The executioner raised his axe high in preparation for the execution, he now waited on Tranver's word. Scabies raised his head and looked upon his people, as he scanned the crowd, he saw them watching him, he saw his son and he also saw Rickalas and Ki'lak.
He closed his eyes feeling happy that he could see his son one last time, but as he did, he saw him inside his minds eye and Scarr had also closed his eyes. He could also see his father as if some invisible force had bonded their minds together so they could commune one last time, "my son, do not be sad," cried Scabies. As he said that the tears came flooding down Scarr's face, "this is how it is supposed to be, there is more going on than you can ever possibly imagine, secrets I wish I could tell you, secrets I can not," he continued.
Scarr wiped the tears from his eyes wondering how his father can be so brave in the face of death when he can barely hold back the tears, Scabies finished, "secrets only the chosen one can reveal to you my boy, it falls to you now to take my place, I have always been the loyal advisor to the king of the Azzard, now it is your turn, Rickalas will need you more than ever, I have faith in you my son," a tear slipped down his right eye, although he wasn't sad he's happy of the man his son grew to become. "What if I fail," Scarr sobbed.
Scarr's unable to hold back the tears again as they came flooding back down his face, Scabies looked him in the eye and smiled, "believe you can do anything and you will succeed, you will learn from Rickalas as he in turn will learn from you, go to Earthrealm, find the chest and seal it for good," Scabies whispered, he moved to embrace his son for the last time as he will never get the chance again, "you are not alone. I will always be with you, as are all things my son we are one, go rescue my granddaughter she is being kept in the dungeons. Always remember I am proud of you," he finished.
Scabies let go of Scarr' they began to shake arms and they then opened their eyes returning themselves to physical reality. Scabies noticed that the people had a candle lit for him and he could see hundreds of lights that were for him as a way of thanks from the people and a tear swept down both he and Scarr's right eye. Tranver gave the word to the executioner and he began to bring the axe down upon Scabies's neck, "fear not my people the king has returned and will one day lead you to victory," he shouted proudly before the axe connected.
The crowd began screaming his name in a way that uplifted his heart and gave him the strength he needed to part for the afterlife, the axe is halfway to his neck. "Goodbye my son. Good luck," Scabies whispered under his breath. The axe came ever closer he took a deep breath, smiled and closed his eyes as the axe sliced through his neck causing his head to drop and roll on the ground. Scarr didn't look away he just looked his father in the eye with his heart breaking before him and he cried hard but silently as he watched his father die.
They all turned around and walked away in the direction of the castle in hopes that they could rescue Alcmene and Marcella, whilst Tranver picked up Scabies's head and through it to Spiros. He looked at it and asked what he would like him to do with it, he replied with, "impale it to the front gate. As a warning to all who would defy the Slaad empire," he laughed, Spiros rushed of to do as he said and Tranver got the Spireton's to clear the courtyard.

Scarr, Rickalas and Ki'lak were already in the castle, they had already gone down to the dungeons to rescue Alcmene and young Marcella and they were now stood in the throne room awaiting to go through the portal which Rickalas had opened with his blood. Alcmene didn't want to go with them though, she believed she needed to stay here for her people and her mother after hearing the tragic news of her father. Scarr wouldn't leave Alcmene in Plutopua all by herself but Ki'lak said he wasn't going neither and that he would get her out of the city and back home.
As for young Marcella, Alcmene urged Scarr to take her with him because the Azzard isn't safe for her anymore, he agreed' he wanted more than anything to get to know his daughter but not at the cost of taking her away from her mother. "Marcella darling, come here," Alcmene whispered. Alcmene has long flowing blonde hair she's wearing a red dress which is torn and dirty from her captivity and her eyes were grey. As she spoke Marcella came running to her from where she was hiding, she could speak but not very well and no one could understand her but her mother.
She took young Marcella by the hand and walked her over to meet her father, "Marcella, this is your father you are going to go with him now he will protect you and look after you, I really wish I could come with you but I can not honey," Alcmene whispered. Marcella looked at Scarr and he smiled at her but she just ran and hid behind her mum scared, "why mama, do you not love me anymore," young Marcella sobbed, her mum crouched down until she was at eye level with Marcella and through her arms around her.
Tears came flooding down both Alcmene and young Marcella's eyes and she held her mother ever so tightly, "oh of course I love you baby, but there are bad men here that want to hurt you and I can not protect you from them but your father can, do you understand Marcella," Alcmene cried. She held her daughter tighter as young Marcella said she understood and she turned and looked her father in the eye, "you promise," young Marcella whispered to her father, Scarr walked over to her and placed his hand on her cheek.
He smiled and spoke, "I promise, I will protect you from everything, even his bad jokes," he pointed to Rickalas and he just raised his eyebrow at Scarr as if to say seriously. Young Marcella began laughing at him as she thought it was funny and so she smiled, all her shiny white teeth exposed and she has a small gap in between her top front teeth. She walked over to Scarr and he picked her up and gently kissed her on the forehead whilst Alcmene then walked up to them and hugged them both. Scarr hugged her back and kissed her upon the lips.
They then said their goodbyes to each other and that they loved each other and Alcmene began crying, "do not cry mama, you will see me again. I promise," Marcella smiled as she placed her tiny hand upon her mother's cheek and wiped her tears away. Alcmene laughed and smiled because she felt a warmth within her heart in which Scarr then smiled at Alcmene. She smiled back and he and Rickalas turned to walk towards the portal with young Marcella in arms, Scarr stopped turned his head back and spoke, "Ki'lak I meant what I said before, I will always consider you brother. Thank you for all you have done," Scarr smiled.
Ki'lak smiled in return and nodded his head in a yes motion as a sign of respect, him and Rickalas turned and continued walking towards the portal, "looks like your following in the footsteps of your forefathers Rickalas, history truly is repeating itself," laughed Scarr, Rickalas laughed with him although he thought he was an idiot, "we are making history today brother. You are going home," Rickalas became very happy over the fact that he's returning home, he will finally get to see his family again.
They both walked through the portal never to return to the Azzard for many long years and as Alcmene and Ki'lak stood there watching they hoped for the best for young Marcella. It took awhile but eventually the portal closed never to be opened for a very long time and what happens next, well that's a story for another time.

To be continued!