Chapter 6

Jacki looked out the window of the small office where she and a few other crew members were hiding out. She watched the rain go from a light drizzle to a downpour. She hoped that by the time they got back to Manhattan the rain would stop. But luck was not on her side that day in regards to the weather. Before she got in the van Joe came over.

"You need a ride?"

"What?" She said, startled as she hadn't seen him approach her.

"Do you need a ride back to Staten Island? You take a bike to work right?"

She nodded and noticed that he had a weather app pulled up on his phone. There was supposed to be rain for the rest of the day and overnight.

"Yeah. Umm, its not going to be out of your way?"

"Nah, its cool, I live on Long Island. Sal was going to offer but he has to go by his parents house so I said I would."

"Okay. Thanks, Joe."

"So you liking the crew everything so far?"

"Yeah, everyone's been really nice."

"So this is our last season, I assume you have plans to hop to another show at some point?"

"I do, something scripted would be nice, more variety and such."

"Oh, well, Tru has Tacoma, but that's in L.A. so you'd have to go to the other side of the country."

"I don't mind that. I figure that if I stay in tv then I'll end up out there eventually. I'm open to that or even doing movies. I just want to do what I love. I don't really care where."

"Ah! What does your family say? Husband? Boyfriend? Kids?"

"My family doesn't really care, I guess. Or maybe I just don't care what they think. But its just me so I can pretty much do what I want."

"How come Sal and Q aren't married?"

"They are. To eat other."

The comment shocked Jacki, then she saw Joe break into a big grin and start laughing.

"Sal's status is umm, complicated, let's say. And Q, I love the guy but he's been hurt enough for a lifetime."

Jacki remained silent wondering what Joe meant.

"Anyone could come back from one broken broken engagement caused by infidelity, but he's gone through two. The first one was back in the day before we even had this show. The next time, she was the makeup artist on set. He had a ring, he had the proposal planned, she found out and finally admitted that she'd been cheating on Q. After that he was never the same. Me and the guys would love to see him with a great woman, but he's given up. He doesn't trust easily. I can't say I blame him after what he's been through."

"Do you think he picks the wrong women?"

The question surprised Joe, obviously, because he raised his brows and didn't respond.

"I only ask because, well, I've picked the wrong men in the past. People always ask if the guys changed or whatever, but the truth is, I chose to ignore warning flags. I chose to see what I wanted to see."

"I don't think I thought of that before. But now that you put it that way.... maybe."

After lots of traffic and a quick drive through White Castle, Joe pulled up to the house Jacki was renting.

"Nice place!"

"Thanks. And thanks for the ride."

"No problem! Sal or Q will get you in the morning. Have a great night! Try to stay dry!"

She dashed from the car to the front porch and waved to Joe as he drove away. She took off her shoes and laid down on the sofa. She felt so badly for Brian. She had spent too many years married to the wrong man and now she looked back at that time as such a waste. She pushed her crush on him aside and decided to not allow her attraction to him to prevent anything other than a professional friendship. The sound of the heavy rain helped Jacki drift off to sleep right there in the living room.