10

Days passed of Valentine's talk around the school, and eventually, the day had arrived. Y/n woke up with a bad attitude, ready to bear the sight of couples around her while walking alone. Since middle school, it's been her least favorite holiday - Not seeing a point to it after years of not receiving anything that wasn't platonic. 

Walking into school, she had already seen people coupled up and walking around with store-bought chocolates that were always too sweet. Her face was painted with a look of dread and disgust throughout the day, just waiting for the day to be over. 

At the end of the last class, she was excited for the first time that day - Ready to up and leave. But as soon as they were dismissed, she was held back. 

A studious voice filled the room"Excuse me, l/n..." 

"What is it, Iida?" She didn't mean to sound agitated, but her mood decided otherwise. 

"Uhm, well..." The tone of her voice set him back, but his previously confident approach quickly faded away, "I was wondering if you had any plans today...?"

"Besides crying myself to sleep, no. No plans," She replied nonchalantly. 

"That doesn't sound enjoyable at all."

"Is there any part of this day that is?" 

Iida let her words sink in, quickly realizing that this was his opportunity. Nervously, he answered, "Yes... That is if you wish to join me." 

Her eyes widened at his charismatic wit, "Uhm..." Heat rose to her cheeks as she realized he was asking her out. Although she wouldn't mind going out with him, she answered hesitantly, "Sure... I guess."

Iida stood up tall and smiled, "Perfect. I will pick you up from your residence at 6." About to walk off, he remembered one more thing, "Dress nice."

"Wait, how nice?" 

"How do I explain without giving it away...?"Iida stood in thought, "Nice... with a touch of casual?"

"Huh?" Now they were both confused, "Formal nice, or just nice?" 

"The latter?" 

"I think I understand," She walked ahead, Iida by her side, "But if you show up way nicer than me, I'm going back inside to change." 

"I'm sure that everything will be alright," They eventually approached the part of the path where the two of them would go opposite ways. 

"See you at 6, Iida," her mood had changed significantly from just a few minutes before, suddenly becoming quite anxious for the night ahead of her. "I'm home!" 

Opening the door, she was surprised to see both her parents home. Her mom turned and greeted her, "Hi sweetie! How was school?"

"Eh, it was alright, " She shrugged, "Same old."

Her mother nodded in understanding and raised herself from the couch, "Happy Valentine's y/n," she held out a red gift bag tied with curled pink ribbon. 

"Thanks," She opened it to see her favorite candies and a card. 

"Y/n, we know it isn't your favorite holiday, but hopefully you'll find the joy in it soon. But for now, we hope these will suffice. Love, Mom and Dad" 

Y/n looked up at her mother and smiled, "Thanks, you guys."

"Aw, you're welcome. Did I get the candy right?" 

"Yes, you did," She smiled, "Oh! That reminds me, Iida's picking me up at around six."

"HE IS?!" 

"Yeah?"