Chapter 21

Emma's heart was already beating uncomfortably fast as they pulled the SUV into the driveway of her home. Legs and Goliath got out first, sniffing the air with deep breaths. At first, they didn't seem too worried, but after several moments she could tell that something was wrong. They had expected some of Madam's latrokin to be guarding the house, but there were clearly none in the area.

"Do you smell it, too? It's growing stronger the longer we stand here," Legs said, turning his attention to Goliath. The other kin did the same, nodding as he gave a look of distaste.

"Yeah, and it's coming from the house," he said.

"I smell several latrokin, but I can also smell their blood," Legs replied as they gestured for her and Widow to come out of the car as he pocketed the keys. Not wanting to leave the boys, Emma quickly got them unbuckled and, after handing Salem to Widow, took Foster in her arms and got out. She knew that the vehicle wouldn't save them if there were kin around. Fighting or running would be their best bet.

"Emma, you and Widow stay there until we clear the area," Legs ordered as he and Goliath approached the door. She did as told but still kept her eyes focused on the door as the two kin stopped in front of it. Both of their faces were drawn into scowls, obvious disgust visible. Without waiting any longer, they both pressed their palms to the door and pushed.

It was unlocked. Emma glanced down slightly, noticing that the bolt that would have normally locked it had been torn through the wood. It almost looked like it had been cut out, but a few splinters were visible sticking out at odd angles, leading her to believe that it had actually been opened suddenly with a serious amount of force.

"Put the kids back in the car but leave the doors open. No kin will be in this area," Legs finally said as he and Goliath stepped inside. Emma could faintly see red on the walls. Licking her lips nervously, she got Foster settled back in the car, then sat Salem down.

"Stay here for a few minutes, okay? Big sister is going to get some things," she said, getting a small nod from Salem. "Good boy."

She set a hand on his head and rustled his hair before hurrying to the door behind Widow. Her feet stopped at the entrance, however, when she got a look at what had happened inside her home.

Blood splatters coated every surface. Handprints, some with claws, others without, covered the frames and what remained of the glass doors leading out to the backyard. Both were shattered to pieces. Most of the glass from them lay in the grass outside. In shock, she surveyed the rest of the red room. Her gaze fell upon many sets of footprints made with blood on the sofa, walls, and ceiling. All of them were barefoot. When she finally stepped inside, Legs and Goliath were returning from the other rooms. Neither of them held anything.

"Nothing was salvageable," Goliath said as they stopped near the entrance.

"Was it him?" Emma asked, knowing already that only her father could do this to kin.

Legs nodded. "I can smell at least eight different latrokin, an odd mixed scent, which is likely Brax, and a relative of yours. We found most of their body parts cocooned in webbing in the other rooms."

Emma's stomach churned, but she refused to throw up. "He killed her," she mumbled, gradually feeling her fingertips begin to grow numb from stress. When Legs nodded, she felt her head start to get hot and could feel her heartbeat pulsing behind her ears. Thankfully, Widow could tell that she was about to faint and scooped her up into his arms, leaving the house without a word.

He carefully set her down in the cool grass out front and had her lower her head between her bent knees while he rubbed her back slowly. She hated Lisa for how greedy and uncaring she was, but that didn't mean that she deserved to get mutilated by her father. Another wave of nausea hit her, but she forced herself to focus on other things until it dissipated.