Epilogue

"Si, Salem, Widow! Get your butts in here, it's dinner time!" Emma yelled from the doors leading out into the backyard.

Widow sat up first, followed by the kids, smudges of mud nearly covering every inch of them. I swear. Two boys is too much. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle a third. She thought as she settled a hand on her slightly rounded belly.

It had been three years since their story together as a family had started. The rest of the latrokin children had all won the hearts of the local kin population and been adopted after several months in Widow's care. Emma, Legs, and Goliath had all helped him, too, and it had paid off. Every single child now had a loving family.

Her thoughts were interrupted when Salem and Si ran through the door, getting muddy footprints all over the new tile floor. She missed the home her mother and father had entrusted to her, but there had been no way to save it. The nightmares it held would have haunted her, too, so they decided to save up the money the Congregation paid them to look after the kids and put down a payment on a nice but small three bedroom.

They had also adopted Si, because she refused to go near anyone but Widow when the adoptions began taking place... and Widow had been a bit annoying whenever someone tried to show interest in her.

She stole his heart without ever saying a single word.

Widow suddenly appeared in front of her, a playful smile on his muddy face as he leaned forward. Emma dodged his kiss while giving him a look that just made him throw his head back and laugh before abruptly wrapping his dirty arms around her and pulling her in for a warm kiss.

"Legs called while you guys were outside," she said once he finally released her lips.

"What did he say?" he asked as he knelt down and leaned forward to press a kiss against her belly through her dress The gesture always made her blush, but she loved that he cared so much for her and their unborn child already, while still having more than enough love for Salem and Si.

"Valaria wants to offer us a spot on the council since they don't have any representation from latrokin, or arakin. It would be temporary, at first, but it would change to being permanent if things went well. There would also be a substantial pay raise."

Widow chuckled and stood, finally looking a little apologetic for the dark swathes of mud he'd gotten all over her sun dress.

"She wants both of us? But you said that you weren't interested in that kind of job," he said as the kids ran out of the hallway. Salem was missing his shirt and Si was chasing him with her little fangs bared. Both of them were still covered in mud from head to toe and getting it everywhere.

Emma sighed at the same time Widow snarled, snapping his fangs and effectively halting the kids mid-run.

"Go shower before dinner or I'll hose you off outside," he warmed, only to get excited looks from both the kids as they ran right past him and out into the backyard.

He opened his mouth as if he was going to try and reprimand them again, but when Emma just started laughing, Widow's face turned a faint pink and he grumbled under his breath.

"Forgot that they love getting sprayed by the hose."

Calming her fit of giggles, Emma nudged him toward the door. "Best go make good on your promise. I'll clean up in here real quick, and change, then we'll sit down for dinner."

Widow groaned but didn't argue as he hurried out the door, running toward the hose with a big grin on his face.

My dork.

Turning, Emma walked to their bedroom and swapped her dress out with another, then walked to the closet near the kitchen to get out the mop and a bucket to take care of the muddy floor. As she reached for the handle of it, however, her hand paused and a surprised smile found her lips.