VII

SEVEN • THE ONE WHERE WILLOW GIVES 'EM HELL

IT WAS STRANGE, and Willow knew that. She didn't understand why she was so calm about the fact that she's essentially been reincarnated for the third time — at least that she knew of. It would explain why she was so comfortable with him from the beginning, she's only ever felt that way with a select few people. It would also explain why he looked so traumatized the first time he saw her in the hallway.

Maybe Willow wasn't really that calm about it. She was much more confused about how Emmett was even still alive, let alone a teenager. Every time she would ask, the only response Emmett would give is something along the lines of "it's safer if you don't know."

As one would imagine, that really did wonders for her anxiety.

Emmett had told Willow about Daisy and Lily a few weeks ago, and they had been spending much more time together since then. Emmett would spend most lunch periods sitting with her, Cara, and Brett when he joined them. He didn't go out of his way to avoid touching her, but he wasn't worried about Willow making physical contact with him. Realistically, if it was up to her, she would always have some form of physical contact, that was when she felt the safest.

The flashbacks were still very much there, but they were more mundane. Things like Daisy making dinner with Emmett's mother, babysitting his nieces and nephews, watching the sunset and talking about the future. The flashbacks with Lily were less frequent, and they mostly took place in the mountains or forest just talking, and Emmett was more closed off when talking about her than he was about Daisy.

Willow tapped her pencil against her notebook for the millionth time, her homework long forgotten as she thought about the question that has been in the back of her brain since the night Emmett told her.

"You could probably focus on your outline better if you just asked me the question." Emmett pointed out, staring at Willow's back as he sat up on her bed. "You've been tapping for the last thirty minutes."

"How do you know you don't like me just because I remind you of your past girlfriends?"

"You're different." Emmett shifted to the end of the bed and grabbed Willow's chair, turning her around. "This whole situation is different."

"How so?"

"Lily didn't have any kind of flashbacks, at least as far as I know." Emmett shrugged, "and neither she or Daisy had any family. The only thing that has been consistent is that you had some form of Cara in each life."

Willow raised a brow. "Were you and Cara fighting for my affections? Cara is very beautiful."

Emmett smirked, "All I will say is that Lily and Cara had some pretty fun times. I also partook in said fun times."

"You mean Lily was with the two most beautiful people in the universe and I haven't had a memory of it yet?" Willow pouted at the thought, "I was robbed."