VIII

EIGHT • THE ONE WHERE WILLOW LEARNS THE TRUTH

HAVING A SUSPICION and actually hearing Emmett say the words were completely different things. Willow had thought about Emmett being a vampire once Brett brought it up, but she didn't think about what that entailed, didn't think that it could be real. Probably because she didn't think it was possible. There's no such thing as vampires. Which is exactly what Willow told Emmett after his confession, right before she slammed the front door in his face.

If vampires were real, how would normal person react to finding out they exist? Are there any 'normal' people that know vampires exist? How did Bella react if she knew? Willow had a lot of questions that she wasn't sure would ever be answered. At this rate, she wasn't sure she would ever talk to Emmett again. But then again, it was easy to say that when she could avoid his calls and texts for the rest of the weekend. But tomorrow was Monday, and she would see him all day whether she talked to him or not. The decision would ultimately be made then, she could at least get some answers then.

Willow had spent the rest of her Saturday night with her family, what she always did when she was scared or extremely stressed. George had rushed home from his date with a woman named Shannon when Monica called him, and Willow saw murder in his eyes for the first time since Brett was assaulted when he first came out years ago. Brett also rushed home, though he was much harder to get ahold of. And just like he always did when Willow got into fights, whether it was defending him or herself, Brett refused to leave her side the rest of the night. The traditional Saturday night in the Tate household would be playing board games, but no one seemed to have the mental capacity to do anything other than eat pizza and watch The Princess Bride and The Princess Diaries before calling it a night. Brett didn't leave Willow then either, and for once, she wasn't irritated about it.

Willow could barely keep her eyes open, but she still managed to narrow her eyes at her brother. "What are you all smiley about?"

"Mike kissed me."

Willow's eyes shot open as she sat up too quickly, making her head spin. "What?! Brett Alexander, why am I just now hearing about this?"

"Because it just happened a few hours ago?"

"There was a solid five-hour gap between when you got home and now."

Brett rolled his eyes at his sister's dramatics, "I'm sorry, I was a little more focused on how terrible you looked when I walked in the door."

Willow waved her hand at Brett. "You should see the other guy."

"Will, part of the reason we moved here was to avoid the fights." Brett reminded his sister. "And I refuse to move again when I finally found a place I belong."

"Never would've thought a gay boy would feel safer in Forks than he would in Portland." Willow snorted, "sounds even weirder out loud."

Brett also snorted at the statement, "I think here people fear Mom and everyone likes Dad. Portland didn't understand the wrath of Monica Tate."