Chapter 7

Along with the badge, Brock also gave him 1 400P$ and the TM Bide.

"Too bad you didn't get to see this move in action. It's a move that stores energy for a while and then releases it in a powerful attack. But the user can't move while using it."

"Thank you. You know Brock, I see you more as a Pokemon breeder or doctor instead of a gym leader."

Brock looked surprised but then smiled.

"Indeed, it's my dream to become a Pokemon breeder but I have to take care of my siblings." He sighed.

"Why? Don't you have your mom or dad? Ash asked.

"My mom died a while ago and my old man abandoned us to restart his journey." Brock explained.

"That's unfortunate. My father wasn't in my life either if that makes you feel better."

They smiled at each other and had a moment of peaceful silence before the onyx-eyed trainer asked:

"What do you plan on doing?"

"Go on a journey with you!" A man's voice answered for him.

Both of them turned around to see a man identical to Brock.

"Mr. Flint?! What are you doing here?" Ash exclaimed surprised to see the stone-selling man here.

"He's my father." Brock answered with clear distaste. "What are you doing here? You abandoned us!" He continued.

"Wait, let me explain! After just a week of travelling, I realized that it wasn't for me anymore but I didn't dare to face you and your siblings. I'm sorry, let me make up for it by looking after the family while you go and realize your dream." Flint explained apologetically.

"Fine, but I need to tell you a few things." The soon-to-be ex-gym leader seriously said.

"Go on."

Brock took a deep breath and explained all of his siblings' likes and dislikes and other things.

"H-hold on I can't write that fast." Flint exclaimed taking out a notebook.

They all had a good laugh.

...

"Ash?" Brock called out while walking to the Pokemon center with Ash.

"Yes, Brock?"

"Could I really travel with you? I mean, my old man is practically forcing me onto you." The ex-gym leader asked hesitantly.

"Oh, I don't mind but we'll have to convince my companion. But I don't think he'll mind either." Ash assured Brock.

"Well, that's a relief."

...

Gary ended up accepting. In fact, he was quite glad as Brock could also cook and he won't have to count on Ash alone to make the meals. Both got along greatly having many common interests. With Ash, they left Pewter and headed towards Cerulean city.

The group set up camp near a body of water at about a third of the way as it was already getting dark. While there, Ash went fishing for a water-type Pokemon.

Soon enough, Ash got a bite. He reeled in whatever was underneath the water with difficulty as it was pulling quite hard. But the raven-haired trainer managed to get it on solid ground after some time.

With a splash, a pale blue Pokemon came out. It had a head that was almost half of the length of his body, a snout-like mouth red eyes and a curled-up tail. It also had a yellow-ish underbelly along with fins and gills.

"Yes! A Horsea!" Ash exclaimed happily from his catch. "Haldis, use stun spore and follow it with psybeam!"

The Butterfree produced the golden dust from his wings rather easily thanks to his training. He sent the dust towards Horsea's permanently opened mouth effectively making the water type inhale it. The bug then released a powerful ray of psychic energy. The Horsea couldn't dodge because of the paralyzation. It, therefore, took the full heat of the hit and faint on the soft sand.

Ash took out a Pokeball and threw it at the water Pokemon.

1... 2... 3... Ding! Horsea was caught.

"Yay! I got a Horsea!" He scanned its Pokeball.

«Horsea, the dragon Pokemon. Horsea eats small insects and moss off of rocks. If the ocean current turns fast, this Pokemon anchors itself by wrapping its tail around rocks or coral to prevent being washed away. This Horsea is a male. It is level 10 and has the ability sniper. It knows the moves leer, watergun, smokescreen and Twister. It also has the egg moves clear smog and aurora beam.

Note: The egg moves have yet to be unlocked.»

Ash sent out Horsea into the lake.
"Hello Horsea, my name is Ash and I'm going to be your new trainer from now on if you allow it."

Ruby eyes stared into onyx ones intently. He nodded, understanding.

Ash smiled:
"Great! We will start a bit later. But I will only use you when I am around water seeing you can't really walk on land without damaging your scales. Now come here, I'll give you a paralyze heal."

The trainer did as he said and returned Horsea to his Pokeball.

Satisfied with the new member of his team, the boy went back to the camp.

******

I realize that Ash doesn't have the personality that I wanted him to have which is, cold and warry to strangers or people who he doesn't trust and soft-spoken along with gentle yet passionate with friends.

I was never great at giving characters personalities but I'll try to do my best. Expect some drastic or small changes to how I interpret Ash and other characters.