7

Hundreds of  students were stuffed together in the large room. There was a table up  front with some older people and a giant television screen with the  words 'Provisional Hero Licensing Exam Location' displayed in bold  lettering. Not that Gon could really read the words all that well. His  reading comprehension skills had certainly improved over the past few  days, but they were still pretty rough when put to the test.

He peeked around at all the students gathered nearby,  observing the different people and costumes. The boy stood beside Izuku  and was dressed in his regular saturated green jacket, shorts, and  boots. He'd told Aizawa a few days prior that he'd prefer to keep the  look over coming up with a new suit.

While he looked over the sea of students, packed like  sardines in a can, one thought quickly buzzed through his mind: There  are a lot less people here than there were in the hunter exam.

He wondered if that meant the heroes exam would be  easier or harder to pass. Thinking about it, he wasn't exactly sure what  they were going to be tested on. The sudden sensation of dread gripped  his stomach. The boy turned slightly and poked at Izuku's arm to grab  his attention. The teen looked down at him, a questioning look on his  face, but noticed the paleness washing over the boy's sun kissed skin.

"What's wrong?" He asked, brow furrowing as he leaned  down slightly. His own heart twisted at the thought that Gon may have  gotten sick or something of the sort on the day of the exam. It would be  the worst timing and he had no doubt the boy might try to participate  anyway.

"There-um... There's no writing or reading test for this, is there?" Gon sputtered.

Izuku blinked and fought to reign in the chuckle that wanted to escape in replace of the previous anxiousness.

"No, I don't think so. Don't be so nervous, everything  will be fine." Izuku reassured him. The boy let out a breath he didn't  know he'd been holding.

Gon was still abysmal at anything related to Japan's  writing system and he had no confidence that he would do well in any  type of test regarding that. The thought only occurred to him then while  his mind was wandering in wait for the exam instructor to speak up.

"Thank goodness." Gon muttered in relief. A glowing  light returned to the warm brown of his eyes and he focused his gaze  back up front. "Yeah, everything will be fine."

Izuku watched the change in his demeanor and found it  difficult to look away for a moment. The boy was an open book and had a  striking amount of determination bubbling within him almost at all  times. The teen admired his outlook and felt a rush of electricity shoot  through his veins, also bringing his attention back of front as well.  Adopting his eagerness and energy sounded like a good idea.

Everything would be fine.

It was then that the exam instructor finally began to  speak up. He introduced himself as Mera, his voice a low rumble in the  microphone, and started the orientation. In between his instructions he  would interrupt himself to grumble about his lack of sleep and internal  suffering. At one point Gon even considered excusing himself from the  group to get the man a cup of coffee.

From his place in the crowd, Gon had a bit of a  difficult time peeking over the heads of the students in front of him  and resolved to do his best by just listening.

Listening to long, complex explanations really wasn't his strong point.

Bits and pieces of information drifted in one ear and  out the other and at no one point of the explanation did the boy fully  understand what the man was talking about. He mentioned something about a  stain and hero society, which only amplified his confusion.  Transitioning from that to talking about the number of current pro  heroes, he was finally able to catch up to the topic at hand.