25

The mood at the dorms that night were more somber than it'd been in a while. It was already odd when the two boys first arrived, a hazy cloud hanging over the students that had been out earlier in the day for the work studies meeting. When Gon announced the fact that he was leaving, the atmosphere dropped even more. 

For the rest of the evening, the boy made his rounds around the building. A lot of his goodbyes were met with teary eyes and mild complaints. He hadn't been there for too long but in that time he'd made a few strong bonds. 

Upon being asked where he was going, Aizawa stepped in and provided an acceptable story about transferring to a school out of the country. The students took their teachers word for it. Although, if one were to think a little too much about it, they would find some gaps in the story. For now, no one questioned it.

Whether or not Todoroki would dig into it more later was a funny thought Gon had. He would definitely miss his newfound friends. 

Once Gon spoke to the majority of the class that had congregated in the main lobby, he made a note of who he had left to see and brought it up with the teacher. Kirishima, Midoriya, and Bakugou had retired early for the night and were likely in their rooms. Aizawa agreed to let the two go find the teens in question and would wait for them in the principal's office.

With a nod, they went their separate ways. Killua stuck with Gon as they made their way down the halls. After everything that happened, he suspected he'd be staying with the trouble maker that was his best friend for just a bit longer. The amount of anxiety that boy gave him from this incident was enough to last him a few months.

The next stop of the night was Midoriya's room.

Arriving at the door, Gon eagerly gave it a few heavy knocks before taking a step back and waiting. Muffled shuffling could be heard from behind the door, until the two were met with a click and the freckled face of Izuku Midoriya. The teen in question looked at Gon with wide eyes, clearly not expecting his presence. 

"Oh, hey Gon. What's up?" Midoriya greeted warmly, opening the door a bit wider so that he was completely framed in the doorway.

Upon observation, Killua noticed the odd similarities between the two. But, of course Gon would have befriended someone similar to him in personality and energy levels. Both green haired boys shared a glimmer in their eyes that spoke of a certain determination. Killua smiled too himself, shaking his head, as the other two continued to speak.

"Hey, Deku! Sorry to show up unannounced but I wanted to see you before I left," Gon answered, a bittersweet expression on his face.

Midoriya blinked, tilting his head ever so slightly to the side. "What do you mean? You're leaving?"

"Ah, well, I don't know how to explain the details, but I'm transferring to a school out of the country. It's super last minute, but I have to leave tonight or I'll miss my chance if I don't go." Gon regurgitated a simplified version of what Aizawa had been relaying to the other students beforehand. It was easier than coming up with his own excuse, considering he wasn't the best liar in the world. "So I'm going around and saying my goodbyes. I didn't want to just leave without saying anything to anybody."

The information slowly processed in the teen's mind as he stared at Gon. After everything that had been going on with the work studies and the little girl he'd been desperately wanting to save, Midoriya had been a little off his game. This new development threw him off and it was taking a moment for him to register what was going on. He'd thought about how quickly, how suddenly the boy's arrival had been, and now it seemed like he'd be leaving just as suddenly.

Gon really had been an enigma up until the very end, hadn't he?

It was while he was still trying process all of this that he noticed the boy standing just off to Gon's left side. He had fluffy white hair and icy blue eyes that held a look so frigid in their depths, it made the teen flinch imperceptibly when he realized they were fixed on him. Had he been there the entire time? He was in his visual range, so why hadn't he noticed until just now?