eight | caught in the mission

𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 | 𝚌𝚊𝚞𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚖𝚒𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚘𝚗

"Where's the good silverware?" Thea shouted through the kitchen.

I'm not even going to entertain an answer to that question. Grayson, on the other hand, always needs to be helpful. 

"Thea, we don't need good silverware. Our dining room already looks picture perfect out of a Home Goods catalog," Grayson urged.

"Sunday dinner requires the full set up," Thea calmly stated.

Grayson's fiancé, Thea, has been a part of my life since I was around thirteen years old. Truly, I can barely remember my life without Thea. She is head over heels in love with Grayson, and he equally loves her as much.

The three of us sat at our extra large dinner table in the dining room. My mom loved this dining room. She envisioned the perfect normal family, having meals together safe and secure in their own home. We were a perfect family but being normal is overrated. We were perfect in our own way.

Weird. 

A fourth place setting is set tonight.

I'm suspicious.

"Nice dinner prep, Thea," I said.

Pizza.

New York City is good for a lot of things. The best – pizza. 

"Ariella, it's nice having you here for Sunday dinners. Things are quiet when you leave for an assignment," Thea said.

Thea grew up with a close-knit family in Maine.

She grew up with Sunday dinners, holiday get-togethers, and everything that normal families do on a daily basis. I don't know if she's accustomed to life that way or she misses her big family in Maine, but Thea takes great pride in constructing these intricate family dinners for the three of us.

There's one thing in this world that Thea can't do. She can't cook. She can bake. Thea loves baking desserts, and its heaven to walk into the apartment to smell fresh baked brownies. The woman will never cook dinner, but her desserts are legendary.

"Completed missions are my only way of moving up in the organization," I grinned.

"Soon, my baby sister is going to be the head of the Central Intelligence Agency," Grayson said, raising his wine glass.

Thea picked up on the maniacal smirks on our faces.

"Do you have an acceptance speech ready?" She asked.

A gentle knock on the door caused me to grip the handle of my knife. No one in their right mind uses a knife to eat pizza, but Thea enjoys setting the table for a meal. The boxes of pizza were organized on platters with a fancy spatula to help pick it up and transfer to a plate.