seventeen | he is her mission

𝚜𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗 | 𝚑𝚎 𝚒𝚜 𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚖𝚒𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚘𝚗

Standing in Commander's office has never been more nerve wracking.

I stood in this office when she requested that I start training with the organization as a ten year old child. I stood in this office when she told me that my first mission was successful. I sat in front of her desk when she told me that I wouldn't be allowed on anymore missions until I saw a psychologist.

Now that I think about it; nothing good ever comes from being in her office. Not a single thing. 

She's standing behind her desk with her arms crossed over her chest. She looks pissed. She looks ready to rip my head off.

I came to the conclusion that this mission has gotten out of hand. Grayson helped me see that. Thea is encouraging me to keep going. There's nothing I can do about the latest developments, but I can enlist some professional help when it comes to the life of Little Dean. He doesn't deserve to die for this mission.

"Is there a reason why you're here confessing to all the rules you've broken over the past few months?" Commander asked.

"You can fire me later, but right now we have bigger problems," I said, crossing the threshold of her office. "Little Dean is missing. He's gone into hiding."

"What? How could you let that happen?" Commander asked, in a loud shout. "You and your brother were supposed to keep that boy safe!" 

I rolled my eyes, knowing that she's going to continue blaming Grayson and me for what's been happening. I'm not the one who let Donovan Halstead roam free. It's not my fault that he stayed under the radar after he escaped from prison.

"I didn't let it happen!" I shouted. "He must've found my research."

"You're going to have to explain it to me, because you broke the rules by not informing me of any of your findings," Commander demanded.

"Donovan Halstead has been stalking the Hawthorne's. Going in and out of their apartment building like he owned the place for months, months before we even knew he'd escaped from prison. Little Dean must've seen the files, and thought that leaving would be safer for everyone," I explained.

"When was the last communication?" Commander asked, looking like she was going to pass out. A single bead of sweat trickled down her forehead. She's really worried about Little Dean.

"Verbally, five almost six days ago. He left a signal for me yesterday that he's still alive," I explained.

I never imagined that Commander could feel empathy towards anyone, especially children. She treated me like nothing but a child soldier when I was growing up.

Commander cares for Little Dean. Like a son. She's been by his side since he came to New York.

Commander came around her desk, nearly standing toe-to-toe with me. Her high heels made her much taller than me, but she's a fairly short woman.