Chapter 2 - Zombies in Uniform

"It's okay Eddie, she's with the army."

The girl lowered her weapon and made it safe, taking a few seconds to inspect Merryn as she did so.

"How did you get on?" asked Tom as the recently arrived members of the troupe dropped heavy-looking packs onto the ground.

"More beans, some vitamins from some old grannie's cupboard, some tinned pilchards, prunes, dried milk, and various odd tins and packets of soup."

"Any chocolate?" asked Andrew hopefully.

"Nah, sorry," said Eddie ruffling his hair. "We found a couple of packets of mints though."

"I may be able to help there," said Merryn. She gestured to her pack. "May I?"

Brian nodded and she reached deep into her pack pulling out a large chocolate bar. "I found this sealed in a tin in a house in the middle of nowhere when I hit the edge of Dartmoor. My gran always kept chocolate in a tin to stop the mice from getting to it. I guess this lady was the same. I've been saving it for a special occasion." She handed it to Eddie who unwrapped it and portioned out the chocolate between them.

"Thank you," said Andrew quietly, and walked off to stand by the river.

"How long will it take us to get to the point on the far side of the river that you were talking about Brian?"

"A day. We know the territory. Once you've paddled across the river, how long will you need to complete your mission?"

"Two days at most. I hope to be in and out within a day."

"Okay. In that case, we'll set up camp at the old Sea Scout Hut and see what we can find to get us downriver and out to sea. My kids are good sailors, so we should be able to crew something that'll get us around the coast to Exeter once you get back."

"Sounds like a plan Brian, and once we get to the hut, I'll need to make a call."

~

A day of tense traveling through open countryside later, Merryn, the five teenagers, and Brian made their way along a narrow lane leading to the Sea Scout hut on the western side of the river.

Brian caught Andrew's eye, and the lad lifted his crossbow from his shoulder and moved ahead of the rest of the group. "That boy's one of the most natural countrymen I've ever seen," he muttered to Merryn. "He's got a sixth sense for people or walkers."

"He'll come in handy when we can get him back to base then. As I said yesterday, there are not many people who can sneak around behind me without me noticing. I'm rather impressed."

Merryn glanced around the rest of the group. They'd positioned themselves in a spread formation with Tom bringing up the rear, Eddie taking point behind Andrew and the larger members of the team including the two adults carrying the bulk of the equipment. Brian and his group traveled light but had brought all the food they had with them, enough for a few days.

Andrew appeared ahead of them and waved them forward. As they approached he started talking rapidly, his enthusiasm spilling over into his words. "It's empty. Looks like it's been ransacked for anything edible and medical stuff, but other than that it seems in good shape. No deadheads, nothing seems out of place. There are also a couple of large sheds which are clear of walkers too, and there's a decent-sized boat in one that should be able to carry all of us up the coast. Sails and gear look to be intact and it looks seaworthy. There are even some lifejackets. Health and Safety first eh Brian?"

"Health and Safety?" Brian grinned at the boy. "Duffer. Okay troupe, let's get the place secure, Eddie and Andrew find a place to keep watch please."

Merryn watched as the group fanned out. "These kids are good Brian."