Chapter 26 - The Worst Audience Ever

Two shadowy forms moved as Merryn and the Corporal took cautious steps into the open space. Merryn took careful aim, fired and one walker fell to the ground. Before the other could moan its displeasure. Chris took a few quick steps, swung the mace, and slammed the zombie into the concrete, its skull instantly crushed. He checked the other and turned to face Merryn. "Nice shot."

"That modified pickaxe thing is brutally efficient isn't it?" she said.

"It does the job." Shaw lifted his radio. "Shaw to King. Hangar clear, and it looks like we have a rather smart-looking helicopter in here too."

Merryn and Shaw looked over the helicopter, a large single rotor machine with the words 'Coastal Rescue' written on it. The ramp at the back of the machine was down and the Corporal walked over to the pilot's door, pulling it open.

Shaw grinned. "I've always wanted to have a go in one of these things," he said and climbed into the cockpit.

Sergeant King walked into the hangar just in time to see a pair of grey arms encircle the Corporal from the rear. There was a short scream and Shaw was pulled back into the darkness of the inside of the helicopter.

King swore and ran towards the back of the helicopter with another marine. They both knelt, took aim with their crossbows, and fired into the back of the machine. Moments later they walked up the ramp and returned dragging the corpse of the Corporal and a walker in a pair of pilot's overalls.

"I'm sorry Sergeant," said Merryn, her face pale. "We thought the hangar was clear."

"It's not your fault Merryn, Shaw should've known better than to get into that helicopter without checking it. He could be impulsive sometimes. And now he's paid the price for that.

"Let's get those hangar doors open and get some light in here."

~

An hour later, Rob, smiling broadly, lifted the helicopter into the sky and hovered for a moment, performing some last-minute checks. He waved, then tilted the machine eastwards, soon disappearing from sight.

The drone's faint buzz brought Merryn back to herself and she waved at it, listening to King reporting in via his radio.

"... he got careless Captain. It was no one's fault but his own. We'll be back with you shortly. King out."

The Sergeant glanced over at Merryn. "I meant what I said Scout 2. It was his fault, not yours. I know that doesn't make it any easier when you see something like that, but Corporal Shaw was unlucky this time. We do however have a bird in the sky now and he will be remembered for that. Come on, let's get back down the hill and get moving."

~

As they moved further northeast, the hills softened and more and more fields appeared as they moved along the Devon coast. Settlements became larger and a few coastal towns appeared, followed by the coast of Wales to the north and the twin isles of Steep and Flat Holm guarding the entrance to the River Severn. Merryn was on the bridge, staring out of the windows as the boat ploughed through the waves.

"I've not been up here before," noted the Captain.

"It's beautiful countryside," said Merryn. "I spent a great deal of my working life in these parts." She paused. "I'm sorry about Corporal Shaw."

"The Sergeant said you'd be beating yourself up about that one. I think we've been lucky so far not to lose anyone else Merryn. We are going to lose people, but we will hopefully save many many more as we go. We will raise a glass to Shaw when we're back at base, but for now, we have to keep going."