Chapter 23 - Dockyard Brawlers

"You ready Ed?" Merryn dropped a casual hand on the girl's shoulder as she stood near the prow of the boat, her eyes closed and revelling in the sea spray as the Cruiser powered through the waves.

"Yeah, I think so. This is some boat isn't it?"

"It's got a bit more power than Dave's old fishing boat, that's for sure. Did you get the hang of flying the drone while you were back at base."

"Yes. I'm better at it than Andrew is. He may be a better shot than I am, but his piloting skills are pants."

"Always nice to have a bit of healthy rivalry in a couple," said Merryn with a grin.

Eddie cast her a sideways glance. "I'm assuming Lily is better at steering a boat than you are?"

Merryn blushed and Eddie cackled. "Gotcha. I had a feeling something was going on there." She gave Merryn a hug. "I'm pleased for you, she seems like a nice lady."

"Thanks, Ed." Merryn changed the subject. "Do you fancy taking a shot at scouting ahead with the drone when we get in sight of Plymouth? The Captain is keen to know what's ahead of us before we dock. I'll be right here next to you and checking the screen, but it'd be nice for someone else to pilot. I hate the buzzy little thing if I'm honest, it never quite seems to go where I want it to."

"I can do that."

"Ok, grand. Thanks, Eddie." Merryn looked ahead along the coast. "It won't be long now. You might want to grab your toy and get ready. There's a rocky triangular island at the entrance to the bay called the Great Mew Stone, once we get around that we'll need Buzzy up in the air and scouting ahead. I don't want to be surprised by any gangs or walkers this time."

"On it," said Eddie and bustled off to leave Merryn standing on the prow enjoying the spray and mottled sea.

~

A few minutes later Eddie and Merryn joined the Captain on the bridge. Eddie had released the drone, had taken it straight up to five hundred meters, and was now watching the screen on her tablet, as were Merryn and Lily, as she guided it in towards the dock area.

"This is the route we'll take in," noted Merryn, tracing the shipping channel marked by the darker deeper water in the river. "That's the old ferry route to France and where we took the fishing boat last time we came here." She traced her finger up the screen. "Up here we have the naval docks. That's where we're hoping we'll find some supplies, as up until recently the area was somewhat infested with walkers. Ed, can you take it in a bit closer to the area we'll be docking at please?"

"Yup," Eddie played with the controls and swung the drone in towards the dock.

"Looks like there's a couple of walkers on the dockside there, but I can't see anything else," muttered Lily concentrating hard on the screen.

"Can you take us back up and over towards the old fort where the turf war happened please?"

"Sure Merryn, hang on a mo."

The view on the screen changed again as the drone lifted up over the dock buildings and on into the streets beyond. After a few hundred metres, the streets opened out into a grassy area and Eddie held the drone stationary above the old fort. There was no movement. A few rotting corpses were dotted around here and there, but otherwise there was nothing.

"Looks clear to me," noted Merryn. "Well outside at least. I'd suggest we draw the drone back here and Ed monitors it while we're doing what we need to do, then we get the heck out of here. What's the plan for exploring the building Captain?"

Lily grinned. "I still can't get used to that title. I think you'll like this though. We've been trying out a few new techniques up on the Isle, with excursions into places like Portsmouth and Southampton over the channel on the mainland. My marines are well drilled so I'd like to give them a little exercise if that's okay."