Epilogue

Four months later

"Control, this is Scout 2, do you read me?"

"Scout 2, this is Control. Mal and Alan here."

"Hi Mal, how's the wee dog?"

"He's happy. He seems to have settled in well and the grunts here have adopted him as camp mascot. He's getting fat and lazy."

"Well, then I'm sure you two are getting on well."

"Oi, what's that supposed to mean?"

"It's only going to get worse. Eddie and I found a collector's item games console today; boxed, intact, with a load of games. I guess it was some poor geek's retro birthday present, but it's been sealed up in a rather nice-looking sports car since the Outbreak. I was going to bring it back to base, but I wouldn't want to be accused of favouritism."

There was a pause from the other side of the county, and Mal cleared his throat. "Well I'm sure we can put it in the common room for all to use, I mean it's only fair everyone gets a chance to beat me at some point."

"Are you still the only one with the key to the common room Mal?"

"I can trade you a large tub of drinking chocolate."

"Done."

"Right, now we've got the important stuff out of the way, how are you and Eddie getting on?"

"All good, the road clearance crew are making great headway along the motorway, we're about three-quarters of the way to you now. The mobile crusher Marjorie put together is helping build a wall along the edge of the road which is funnelling any random walkers through to the checkpoints where the soldiers take 'em out. We're working ahead checking all the cars and lorries as we go and if we find anything of interest we stick a little flag on it with a quick report and let those who follow behind deal with it. Have you had any reports from any of the other teams?"

"Yes, Gareth and Andrew reported in about half an hour ago. They're making good progress through the countryside of Cornwall. Andrew was sure he knew where a tea plantation was down there and he's finally managed to track it down. So, you'll be pleased to hear we will soon have a source of fresh tea. On the way back up through they're going to check in on some of the reservoirs to see if any of the hydroelectric gear is still in some semblance of order.

"The Prime Minister has ordered the armed forces to clear the Scilly Isles of walkers, then start working up through the country town by town, starting with Cornwall and Devon. They've already got a team on Portland Bill as that had been cleared by the pirates. They're maintaining that, and a few folks have settled there from the Isle of Wight. We're going to be the main communication hub for everything down this end of the country, and then the Isle is going to start working out how to retake the south coast and move on towards London.

"We've had communication from Tom up on Dartmoor too. He's moved back into Marcia's base there and has gotten the radio and solar panels up and working again. He's on his own at the moment, but a couple of volunteers from the Isle will be joining him in the next few weeks to make sure we have a functioning lookout post up there. Shawn and his mum are going to be joining them there too, as Darcey has a particular sense for any larger groups of walkers moving around, and the southwest is still the priority for clearance at the moment so her skillset will be very useful there.

"In other news, the Prime Minister has had her first diplomatic visit since the Outbreak, the French Premier made his way over from Mont St Michel, the current island seat of the government over there and they seem to have gotten along rather well. Both countries are working on similar lines by the sounds of it, but we're sharing information and collaborating so it's a good start."