Chapter 16 - Stan Overboard

Merryn waved until she could no longer see the fishing boat and Dave standing sturdy at the wheel. Hope, Stan, Sergeant Harper, and two other soldiers had boarded with the outgoing tide and Hope had waved for some time as had Stan.

She sighed and walked back up the path towards the barracks, following in the footsteps of Eddie and Andrew a few minutes earlier.

As she rounded a corner, there were footsteps from a side path and she turned to see who it was. Rimmer was walking towards her, his face stony. She turned to face him and the man stopped.

"I see the bitch and the deadhead have left," he muttered.

"And yet you still remain," retorted Merryn. "Get the hell out of my face Rimmer."

"Or what?" The man took a threatening step towards Merryn and she lifted her hands and stepped back, her eyes narrowing.

"What do you think is going to happen if you attack me Private? I'm not sure why you have taken such a dislike to me, but we're fighting the same thing here."

"What's that?" asked the man pointing at Merryn's forearm. As she'd raised her hands in defence, her sleeve had ridden up showing the semi-circular scars. "I knew it, you've been bitten. I'd heard some rumours but I'd put them down to stupid stories people tell. You're one of them!"

The man launched himself at Merryn, arms outstretched and hands going for her throat. Mal barrelled into the man from the side path, shoving him off the path and into a deep hedge. "Quick," he said, grabbing her hand. "Run!"

There was a bellow of rage behind them, and Rimmer surged from the depths of the hedge, covered in scratches and leaves. "You're dead!"

Mal cast a glance over his shoulder as they ran into the open grassy area behind the barracks, in the past, an area used for parade ground movements in the summer months. "He's still coming," puffed Mal. "Quick, inside the refectory, there are people there."

The two of them ran towards the refectory door, Rimmer hot on their heels, but before they could get there, Captain Summers strode outside, pulled his pistol and fired. Grass kicked up from a few paces in front of the charging soldier and Rimmer stopped, his face murderous as Summers adjusted his aim to point the pistol directly at the Private's head.

Men and women spilled out from the refectory, standing in a growing circle behind the Captain who kept his revolver trained on the uniformed man standing in front of him on the grass.

"Private Rimmer, you will be escorted to your billet. There you will gather your belongings. A ration pack and equipment will be issued to you together with basic weaponry. From there you will be escorted to the gate and you will remove yourself from these premises. If you attempt to re-enter without permission, harm any member of this community on or off site, or cause damage to this or any other facility you will be shot on sight. Or I will shoot you now if that is your choice. Do you understand?"

Rimmer stared at the Captain, hate darkening his features. "I choose exile. I would rather take my chances out there than stay in here with this nonhuman scum." He pointed at Merryn. "Watch your backs everybody, she will end you."

Summers gave an order and two sergeants escorted Rimmer away.

"Positions everyone please," called Summers making safe his handgun and holstering it, and the crowd dispersed, many casting curious or even hostile glances at Merryn.

Merryn threw her arms around Mal. "Thank you."

Mal hugged her back. "You okay? I mean, I know you're not, but you know what I mean."