Chapter 15 - Teacher's Pet

With a sudden flurry of movement, a pheasant burst from the hedge about fifty yards ahead of the swarm, screeching out its alarm call. As one, the swarm moaned and lurched forward, moving at an increased pace in the direction of the bird which sped down the road ahead of them, calling madly to its fellows in the fields and hedges.

As the walkers moved out of sight, a platoon of soldiers exited the compound and walked down the road behind the swarm.

"Summers here, all clear, repeat, all clear. Well done everyone."

The tower breathed a collective sigh of relief and the team made their weapons safe.

"What would we have done if they'd attacked?" asked Andrew.

The Sergeant glanced over at him. "We'd have had to take them out as quickly and quietly as we could. Summers would have ordered silent weapons with guns as back up."

"What would happen if it was a much larger swarm, like a thousand?"

"Then we'd be in trouble," said Dan. His brows furrowed. "What are you getting at here lad? Are you thinking about something specific?"

"I don't want to overstep," said Andrew blushing. "I mean, I'm just a kid."

The Sergeant shook his head. "You're a kid who survived with a group of other kids when many so-called adults died. I know your story and you did well. So, as far as I'm concerned, if you have an idea, or a question then you have the right to voice it. And Captain Summers feels the same."

Andrew nodded. "They stopped. They were beginning to sense we were here somehow, but as soon as that stupid pheasant kicked off they got distracted and followed it. I know the Captain has his contingency plan of the castle over the river, but what if we can't get there cos it's low tide? We can't trek across the estuary mud, we'll sink and die, or get stuck and ripped apart by deadheads. We shouldn't give this place up so easily. So, if a massive swarm hits us, could we distract them, divert them around us? Use a pretend pheasant to lure them away, maybe into the river or the sea. If they get stuck in the mud, we can pick 'em off at our leisure. If they go into the sea they'd disappear but I guess might become someone else's problem if they survive. No shark's going to eat one of those things. Um, yes. So the short version is can we distract them, lure them away using some loud sound, and not fight them?"

Dan blinked. "Well apart from the fact I think you might breathe through your ears, that's a damn good idea. Well done lad, I'll talk to Summers. Right, I'd better report into debrief. I'll catch you later. Andrew isn't it?"

Andrew nodded.

The Sergeant held out his hand and Andrew shook it with a smile. "Don't be afraid to come to me with any more ideas if you have them. And that goes for all of you. I'll make sure Summers knows that was your idea. Credit where it's due and all that." He cast a look at Merryn. "Impressive Scout 2."

Merryn grinned at him and the Sergeant climbed down the ladder and walked towards the main building.

"Teacher's pet," muttered Eddie and punched Andrew in the arm. Then she gave him a hug. "Smartarse. Well done."

Andrew blushed to the roots of his hair. "Thanks Ed."

Merryn motioned them to the ladder. "Well done Andrew, Come on you lot, let's get a cuppa. We deserve it after that. That was a little nervy."

~

The Captain approached them as the team sat in the canteen with steaming mugs in front of them. "May I join you?"

Merryn shifted over and the Captain sat, placing a mug of tea on the table. He looked at Andrew first. "I've just led the debrief on our encounter with that group of walkers earlier and Sergeant Dan Harper passed on your idea. "We're going to be testing it on the swarm that passed earlier using a few bicycles and some air horns. Well done.