Chapter 11 - Commander Pike

Once the gate was firmly secured, she ushered them inside the nearest building. As they walked through the door a brown and white terrier ran up to her and rubbed against her legs, whining. "Don't worry Alan, we're safe, these nice people saved us."

"Alan?" whispered Andrew, grinning at Tom, who shrugged.

"I'd better go and check the perimeter," said Tom, and Merryn nodded.

Marcia bustled over to a wood-burning stove in one corner of her hut, adding sticks to the fire and placing a large kettle on top. Then she lowered herself into a chair and looked at them, her eyes brimming with tears.

"Thank you," she said simply.

"You're welcome," said Merryn and sat down next to her, reaching out to take her hand and hold it, feeling the warmth from her skin transfer into the cooler parchment-thin skin of the older woman.

"How long have you been here Marcia?"

"Since the start of the Outbreak. Up until then, I lived in the farmhouse over the hill. But when everything started going to hell in a handbag I decided I'd come over here and see if the army lads could look after an old lady. They were either dead or had buggered off so I thought I'd move in as it seemed a bit more secure than my farm. I dropped their corpses in the peat bog over there, the one with the red moss on it, they're always the deep ones. I gave 'em a prayer then started to make the place home.

"Apart from those horrible moaning bastards out there, you're the first people I've seen since the outbreak."

The kettle whistled and the old woman grabbed the arms of the chair to lift herself from its cushioned depths.

"I got it," said Hope and lifted the kettle with a cloth as the woman settled back into her chair with a sigh of appreciation.

"Thank you, dear. There are cups in the cupboard there, teabags too, and some milk in the fridge."

Merryn shook her head in awe. "You are somewhat incredible Marcia. Where do you get milk from?"

"I've got a few animals in one of the other buildings. I brought them over with me when I realised the army had cleared out."

Tom reappeared in the doorway and nodded at Merryn.

"Don't worry dear, Alan will let us know if any more turn up. He's an abject coward but a good watchdog."

She clasped Merryn's hand warmly again. "It's so good to see you dear, and children too. I didn't think I would see anyone again. Have you seen anyone else?"

"We're part of a group based in Exeter, we live in the old marine base there at Calstone. We're connected to the larger government force located on the Isle of Wight. That's a safe zone, free of walkers and there are a couple of thousand survivors there."

"That sounds nice dear. I was so scared earlier. Poor old Alan only has me to protect him."

Merryn enveloped the older woman in a hug and held her as she sobbed. Months of loneliness and terror worked their way out and the others in the group made tea, found some food, and prepared a meal.

After a few moments, Marcia disengaged from Merryn, brushed herself off, and pulled a tissue from a pocket. "Thank you, dear, I needed that. I've missed a good hug, and you do hugs rather well."

"My pleasure Marcia," said Merryn wiping a tear from her cheek. "I think I needed that too."

Over a cup of tea, Merryn brought Marcia up to speed on their own travels and then stopped.

"But that's why we're here of course. The base at Calstone picked up a Morse code signal from this base. Set on a loop, repeating over and over."

"Yes dear, that was me. I'm glad it worked. There were some old radios in the store here and an instruction manual and some technical information. I didn't have much else to do in the evenings so I taught myself to work it. I did break a couple though. You'll have to send me a bill for those."