Chapter 32 - A Tin of Pineapple Chunks

Empty plates lay on the table in front of the team in the mess hall at the power station. Merryn was watching Eddie, Tom, Andrew, and Hope play a fast-paced card game that had Eddie in fits of giggles, and a warm mug of tea was clasped in her hands.

"May I join you?"

"Of course," Merryn reached out and took Lily's hand as she sat down opposite her. "I'm sorry, I was miles away there."

"Penny for your thoughts," said Lily.

"I was just thinking how normal this is, just a group of people having a bite to eat and playing a daft game. But then you look over and see Stan watching them and you realise how much the world has changed. We've just witnessed hundreds of thousands of walkers being immobilised by a brave young woman, an equally brave half dead man named after a black and white comedy film star, and a bucket of the world's worst custard made up of a ground up family."

Lily chuckled. "My Aunt Sheila used to make truly horrible custard: she was an awful cook and even managed to burn pasta once."

"We do need to come up with a better way to describe Stan though," noted Merryn. "'Half-dead' or 'Semi-walker' doesn't seem appropriate for someone who has just done what he's done."

"Agreed," said Lily. "And if we're going to find more like him and Darcey as we start to reclaim the country then it's something we need to get right." She looked over Merryn's shoulder. "Talking of which, this could be an interesting meeting."

Merryn turned and looked as Shawn, leading his mother by the hand, walked into the room. Darcey wore her customary hat and floral dress, and blank expression.

"Stan?" Ever alert to his changes in demeanour, Hope had put down her cards and was looking at him. She sat with her back to Shawn and Darcey and hadn't seen them enter the room. Hope stood and walked the few steps to Stan's side placing a hand on his arm. "Are you okay?"

Stan gently picked up a confused looking Hope and moved her to one side, then walked around the table. Shawn and Darcey had stopped a few metres away and Hope turned as Stan moved, understanding flooding her face with a smile as she did, a smile mirrored by that of Shawn's.

"Look mum, you have a friend!" said Shawn dancing on the spot in excitement. The boy let go of his mother's hand and trotted forward to meet Stan, grabbing his hand and pulling him forwards. "I've heard about you sir, it's nice to meet you. This is my mother, Darcey."

Shawn stepped back out of the way.

Stan stopped a foot away from Darcey, his dark eyes looking into hers. They both closed their eyes, leaned forwards to touch their foreheads together, then leaned back to look at each other again. A few seconds later, Stan tilted his head back and gave voice, a sound utterly different to his challenge to the swarm of walkers at Newport. A single pure bass note of joy and greeting filled the room, echoed a second later by Darcey as she joined in with a different note pitched in perfect harmony. The two of them held the notes for many long seconds then lowered their heads and fell silent.

Stan moved to her side and the two figures stood, motionless once more.

"My word," said Lily, wiping a tear from her eye. "I've never heard anything quite like that, that was beautiful. Can you imagine a group of people like Stan and Darcey all doing that together?"

"Let's hope that's something we can see in the future," said Merryn. "I would love to know what just happened there, that was unreal."

"Mum's happy, that's what happened," said Shawn. He glanced at the empty plate in front of Merryn and grinned at her. "What's for lunch?"