7

"I can't believe you missed the town meeting yesterday," Ronnie said to Matt. "I mean, are you even a Stars Hollow citizen at this point?"

Matt furrowed his brows. "So, I miss one meeting and suddenly I'm in exile?"

"That's just how it works, Matt. Take it up with Taylor if you have an issue with it," she joked.

"Then I rather be exiled," Matt joked back.

The pair continued walking to the town square of Stars Hollow when they spotted Rory, Lane and Dean. Ronnie hadn't really spoken to Dean much after him telling Matt to date Angelica Smith, and she wasn't planning on doing so either. However, him and Rory were getting pretty serious. They recently shared their first kiss together.

"Are we gonna go say hi or are we gonna continue staring at them?" Matt asked as he noticed Ronnie had full on stopped.

"That depends. Are you gonna take his lousy advice again?" Ronnie said. At first Matt thought it was a joke, but when he saw her face he quickly understood it wasn't.

"Of course not," Matt said. "Besides, you have to get along with him. He is dating your sister after all."

"Hopefully not for long," Ronnie said with a grin, but Matt quickly nudged her side. "Okay, fine, but I don't like him or the person he's turning Rory into. Look at them ignoring Lane."

"They're not ignoring Lane," he said before turning to look at them. "Oh."

"Yeah, oh," Ronnie repeated.

"I guess Lane should start hanging out with us more?" Matt asked Ronnie assuming that was what she was gonna suggest.

"That's not gonna work," Ronnie said as Matt's head snapped in her direction. "She clearly has feelings for you Matt and that's gonna get in the way when she gets jealous every time you and I hang out together."

"You think she has feelings for me?" Matt asked looking at Lane.

"Of course she does," Ronnie rolled her eyes. "Just take the time we were going to the movies for example. She knew what she was doing when she brought up Josh. I mean, come on, she's not exactly stupid. Plus, you can easily tell by the way she acts around you. Everybody can see it, and I know for a fact that you see it too."

Matt sighed. "I just feel bad. It's not easy having a crush on someone who doesn't feel the same way."

Little did Ronnie know how much Matt actually related to Lane at this moment.

"Yeah, I know, but just ignoring her feelings for you isn't gonna make it hurt any less," Ronnie stated. Ironic, isn't it?

"Tell me about it," Matt mutters, but Ronnie heard him loud and clear. He knew she did, but they both knew they couldn't go down that road quite yet.

"You should tell her you don't like her back," Ronnie said before hesitating. "Because you don't, right?"

They made eye contact with each other. "Right."
~
Another day came to an end at Stars Hollow High and Matt was making his way out. Walking down the front stairs he spotted Lane sitting alone at the bench near by. The Thompson boy decided to make his way over to the girl. He smoothly jumped over the bench and sat down next to her. Her mood instantly lit up.

"Hey," Matt said.

"Matt. Hey," she smiled nervous back. "Everything thing okay?"

"I was actually gonna ask you the same thing," he said. "You seem rather down lately."

Lane looked at the ground. "I'm fine. I just feel a little lonely and left out. With Rory and Dean are an item , and you and Ronnie being as close as usual. It's just hard."

"I get it," he smiled at her. "And I've noticed how Rory's focus is mostly on Dean right now, but don't worry, that's just the honeymoon stage. It'll fade, but in the meantime you're more than welcomed to hang out with Ronnie and I more."

Lane smiled sadly. "That's really nice mad. However, it's the same when I'm with you guys two. The two of you will always be closer than I am with either of you. I just want to be someone's first choice."

Matt didn't say anything. He didn't have anything to say, because she was right. He and Ronnie would alway be closer than with Lane. That was the way it had always been and how it was always gonna be.

"You're not saying anything," Lane stated.

"What's there to say? You're right," Matt admitted. "Ronnie's always gonna be my first priority."

"You like her, don't you?" Lane asked.

Matt felt his cheeks heard up. This wasn't an usual question. He got it all the time, and every time he denied it. However, this was a way more genuine moment with Lane, so he didn't have it in him to lie. Plus, he owes it to Lane to be honest with his feelings so she could move on.

He let out a sigh before speaking. "Yeah, I do."