8

"I'm not going to the stupid school dance," Ronnie explained to her sister for what Det like the thousandth time. "The like billion things I rather do. Besides, I'm helping Matt babysit Charlie."

Rory furrowed her eyebrows. "Isn't Charlie like twelve or something? I'm pretty sure that doesn't qualify as babysitting, and I'm sure Matt can handle it on his own."

"First of all, he's eleven," Ronnie sassed. "Second of all, last time Matt was home alone with Charlie they nearly burned down the house. Third of all, I just don't want to go to the dance, especially not when Matt can't even go."

Rory smirked. "Ahh, so that's the reason. You don't want to go because Matt can't."

Ronnie rolled her eyes at her twin. "That's like a semi reason. You're not listening."

"I am listening," Rory said. "And you know what I'm hearing? You being the boring sister for once."

"I can live with that," she said as she unlocked the front door to their house.

-

"I can't believe you're not going to your school dance, Veronica," Emily Gilmore said as she followed Ronnie around in the Gilmore house. "These dances are a big part of the high school experience. I'm sure that lovely Thompson boy would be more than trilled to take you."

Ronnie sighed. "I've already told you, grandma. Matt and I are babysitting his little brother, Charlie."

"Who doesn't need a babysitter by the way," Rory yelled from her room. "You should come. Josh has been asking if you're coming."

"Josh? Who's Josh?" Both Lorelai and Emily asked.

"This guy from school who's complete and utterly in love with Ronnie?" Rory answered before Ronnie could.

"He's just a friend." Ronnie explained shooting a glare in Rory's direction. "Besides, I don't want to go to the dance."

"This is very unlike you Ronnie." Lorelai said concerned. "You've always been the social one. Back at Stars Hollow High you always went to the dances."

"Yeah, at Stars Hollow High where all my friends are," Ronnie said. "It's not that i don't like Chilton, but I like the people better here. So, therefore I'm going to spend my free time hanging out with them."

"I like that you speak in plural, yet the only one you're spending time with is Matt," Rory teased. 

Ronnie shot her twin a glare. "Aren't you worried about stepping on Dean's toes tonight while dancing?" she asked making Rory's smirk drop and start overthink.

"Okay, that's enough bickering," their mother said.

A knock on the front door caught all the Gilmore girls attention. Rory ran towards the hallway assuming it was Dean, while Emily was telling her how a girl should never run to a guy like that. However, when Rory opened the door it wasn't Dean. It was Matt and Charlie.

"Oh, it's just you," Rory said before returning to the living room. 

Matt furrowed his brows at the reaction and shot a questioning look towards Ronnie who only shrugged in response. 

"Matt! How delightful it is to see you," Emily said joyful. Her previously hard expression had softened. This was something Lorelai took special notice to. What was Matt Thompson doing to her mother?

"Always a pleasure Emily," Matt said with a charming smile. "Lorelai, good to see you."

"Hi Matt," Lorelai responded with a warm smile. She absolutely adored Matt. He was kind, hardworking and caring. She truly believed he was Ronnie's soulmate. That being said, she never thought her grandmother would be such a fan. She always thought that both Richard and Emily would want her daughters be with someone rich.