9

Sat on the bleachers of Stars Hollow High ice rink was Ronnie Gilmore and Lane Kim. Lane was filling Ronnie in on the awful double date she went on with Rory and Dean the day before, as the girls watched Matt's hockey practice.

"It was awful. The worst two hours of my life," Lane complained to the brunette. "I would rather watch paint dry rather than go on a date with him again."

"But you were so into him beforehand," Ronnie said.

"Lesson learned, personality over looks every time," Lane said with a huff. "Actually, where do i find someone who has both."

Ronnie chuckled. "I think it's safe to say that they don't exactly grow on trees. However, I do think you learned a lot from this date. You have to kiss a couple of frogs before you find your prince charming."

Lane rolled her eyes.

"What?" Ronnie asked with furrowed brows.

"I just think it's ironic how you're saying that. As if you don't already have prince charming right in front of you," Lane explained.

In her eyes Matt Thompson had everything a girl could want in a guy, and she was far from the only girl in Stars Hollow who thought so. The list was long of girls who'd die just to even get Matt to look at them. But his eyes were set on a certain brunette girl, and they had been for years.

The Gilmore girl let out a scoff. "What are you even talking about?"

"Oh, come on, Ronnie," Lane exclaimed. "Don't act like you don't see it."

"See what?"

"The way Matt looks at you. I'd kill to have someone look at me that way. Especially someone as sweet as Matt," Lane said as the girls focus were set on Matt down on the ice.

"Lane," Ronnie said with a sigh. "We've been over this a million times. Him and I are just friends."

Lane thought back to the day she and Matt spoke outside school and how he had admitted he had feelings for Ronnie. The Kim girl was certain Ronnie felt the same way, but that she just hadn't realized it yet. She felt liked she owed both Ronnie and Matt to try and get them together after she almost ruined everything a few weeks ago by being jealous. Prince charming wasn't is sight for Lane yet, but he sure as hell was for Ronnie.

"Does he know that?" Lane simply asked.

"Of course."

Lane wished she didn't say the next words that was about to come out of her mouth, because it really wasn't her place to tell, yet she couldn't stop herself. "That's not what he told me," she said.

Ronnie's head snapped towards Lane. "What?"

"Listen, it's not really my place to say anything, but a few days ago when him and I spoke about me feeling left out. He basically admitted that he liked you," Lane said.

"Oh," was all Ronnie was able to say. She looked back down at the eyes to see that Matt was already staring at her. Once he caught her eye, he smiled at her and gave her a nod, which she returned with a tight smile.

Lane watched their interaction with a smile. "You can't honestly tell me you don't have feelings for him."

"Whatever sort of feelings I might have had for him in the past died the day he asked out Angelica Smith," Ronnie said as she still looked at him.

"I know that hurt, but he feels terrible about it," Lane said in Matt's defense. "You know that, right?"

"Yeah, but it's easier to forgive than it is to forget. And i can't get the picture of her wearing the scarf I knitted for him around her neck," Ronnie admitted.

A few moments of silence went by before realization hit Lane like a train. "You knew, didn't you? That he had feelings for you, I mean."

"Of course I did," Ronnie admitted. "He's not exactly a discreet person."

Deep down Ronnie had known Matt had feelings for her for years, but it wasn't until recently that she'd become aware of it. It was more obvious know. How he looked at her. The way he spoke to her and about her. The way he got jealous without having a reason to. The way he nervously fiddled when she was around. She had noticed all this, but she hadn't done anything about it because she didn't know what to do.

She didn't feel the same way about him. At least not know. It wasn't unlikely that she could get feelings for him in the future, but right not things were to complicated. Therefore, she pretended to be oblivious, but she knew.

"Well, whatever you decide to do I support you a hundred percent, but just do me a favor," Lane started. "Go easy on him. He's one of the good ones."