⁂ Chap. 3 Beginning

Timmy ( Timothy ) -

Liam's younger brother, after his parents never came home after work labor, he would ask his brother every day where his parents were.

Liam, who knew what happened, couldn't tell his brother because he was suffering mentally and physically. After 1 month, he stopped asking and became mute. While Liam had to work in order to get food for them to survive, Timmy would always be alone.

______________________________________

It had been a year and a half already, and I was just six months away from turning 18. Life in the tunnels hadn't changed much. I had been working above ground, and ever since Liam found out about my true gender, he had been very supportive, along with his brother, Timmy. We had grown close, spending a lot of time together.

But after the auctioning incident, I couldn't shake the feeling that Liam was acting strangely.

This was around 4 months after the auctioning scene. There were times when I touched him, he would push me away, just a simple touch of me providing comfort or as a casual gesture, he would escape my grasp. This all started ever since he dressed as me.

Is this because I made him dress up as a girl? Before that whole fiasco thing with the auctioning, he would wrap his arm around my neck like we were pals and taps me on shoulders. Now, even with a single touch of my fingers, he leaves him running down the alleyway.

Upon becoming weary of his dramatic responses, I made the decision to confront him regarding his avoidance and evasion of me. I proceeded to explain the circumstances to him, and his response to my inquiry was not in line with my expectations, as it resembled the following.

4 Months After the Auctioning Scene

"Liam, We need to talk," I avoided any touching and guided him to a secluded area. He followed behind, already guessing what was bothering me.

I turned around facing him, "Lately, you have been avoiding me and my touches. Did I do something to you? Did making you change into a girl cause some traumatic moment in your life or something? Because if it did, I am so sorry, I didn't realize the situation you would be in and just focus on myself. I should've thought about your situation and how it will affect you and-"

"Whoa! Whoa! Slow down Hailey, deep breaths." He used his hands motions to help calm down my nerves, I took in some deep breaths.

"Feeling better?" He asked, concerned for my well-being.

I nodded in response, "Thanks...."

Liam took a seat on the ground and patted the space next to him, indicating for me to join. I settled in beside him, and we both sat in silence. He watched the passing pedestrians, observing their attempts to navigate through life as best as they could.

Children would shift through the garbage, but an elderly couple would intervene, offering them food. The children would express their gratitude and lower their heads. Meanwhile, a group of teenagers would bring books they had come across and share their understanding of the outside world, despite their inability to read. Merely looking at the pictures was sufficient, given that some had never encountered the sight of lush green grass, trees, the sun, or the moon.

After a while, Liam slowly began, "What happened 4 months ago has nothing to do with how I have been avoiding you, Hailey." He explained softly as he stared at what our community had become.

He continues, "Me avoiding you has something to do with who I am. "

I raised my eyebrow, confused about what he was trying to say. He turns his head and looks me in the eye, "I never told anyone this because I didn't feel normal, but you Hailey, you're different. I was very scared of getting closer to you and becoming your friend because I was afraid of how you would think of me after."