12: RUBBER DUCK IT -- LOVE BEGINS

The setting sun is casting beautiful colors all over my hometown, reds and oranges and pinks dancing across my vision

The setting sun is casting beautiful colors all over my hometown, reds and oranges and pinks dancing across my vision. I've never really thought that Swellview was very particularly pretty, but in this moment, it is. I always thought that I wanted to leave this town behind, to find something better suited for me, but now there are people here that I can't leave behind. This view is also changing my mind.

My phone buzzes against my leg, but I don't bother checking it. Erika and Gil are out on a date, which means that they probably won't be texting me right now. I don't want them texting me anyway. I don't want to go visit any more museums with them. I don't want to do it.

A bitter feeling rises in my throat, leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I don't know why I'm so mad at Erika and Gil, but I am. Obviously, I don't want our friendship to feel so forced because of our job, but other than that, I don't know why I'm upset. It's like my body knows something that I don't know, which is weird. I don't want to question it, though.

A single dark cloud covers the setting sun, and the sky darkens. The colors are still there, just a little dimmer than before. It seems like nature is connected to my feelings, reflecting how I'm feeling deep inside. I feel like I'm stretching it, but that's how I feel. I can't blame myself for what I'm feeling because it's valid. At least, that's what my mom tells me when Fiona and I fight.

And then a car hurtles down my road. It looks familiar, but I can't place it. I'm great with faces, not things. I can see two people in the car, and even from here and with my dirty glasses, I see a terrified look on the passenger's face. For some reason, the car races into my driveway, and that's when it hits me. Charlotte, Piper, and I are going to hang out and watch a movie. I totally forgot.

The passenger door swings open, and Charlotte hops out, looking relieved to be on solid ground. She walks over to me, her chest rising and falling in quick succession. Piper honks the horn, but Charlotte doesn't jump like I do. She must be used to Piper's weird ways. "How was the ride?" I ask, staying in my seat on my front porch. 

"I thought we were going to die," she says, shaking her head. Her curls bounce, and I wonder how she gets her hair looking so perfect. I know that we have different textures of hair, but my hair never looks as good as hers, and I also have soft curls. "Are you ready to go watch a movie?" I don't answer her, and she looks at me. "What's wrong, Laurel?"

How can she read me that easily? I don't want to tell her that I'm starting to hate my friendships with Erika and Gil and that I want to quit my multiple jobs, so I just shrug. "Nothing's really wrong." I get up from my spot, slinging my purse over my shoulder. At least I don't have a headache yet. "What movie are we watching?"

"Piper chose it, and she didn't tell me what it's about."

"Oh, fun," I say, blinking at Charlotte. I frown as I glance at Piper in the car again. "Wait. How is Piper even driving? Isn't she like twelve?"