22: LOVESICK

Pulling into the driveway, I slow to a stop before I run right through my house

Pulling into the driveway, I slow to a stop before I run right through my house. I turn the car off, but I don't immediately get out yet. While driving home after dropping Charlotte and Jasper off at Junk 'N Stuff, I tried to call Henry, but it went straight to voicemail. He must have been busy, which isn't out of the question since Charlotte, Jasper, Vera, and I found the bee at the factory. Picking my phone up from the passenger seat, I check my phone for any messages or phone calls from Henry. Nothing. 

I can feel my heart rate physically pick up as worry spreads through my body about him. Taking a few deep breaths, I try to calm my panicked feelings, but it doesn't help. Dropping my phone into my lap, I lay my head on the steering wheel, feeling the weight of the world sitting on my shoulders. My chest is tight, and for a second, I can't get a breath in. I'm absolutely paralyzed in my car as I think about the endless possibilities of what could happen to my boyfriend today.

Screwing my eyes shut, I try to stop my panic attack from fully consuming me. Is this what happens when you love someone? Where you worry about their safety much more than your own, especially since Henry is a sidekick? I never thought I'd have to deal with this kind of worry when I started working at Junk 'N Stuff nor when I started dating Henry, but I should have known it would happen sooner rather than later. The only other person that I worry this much about is Vera, and she's a baby that can't get into much trouble since my family watches her like a hawk. I can't watch Henry like a hawk, which is killing me. I quickly send a prayer up, asking God to watch over Henry since I can't. 

And then Vera starts screaming and crying, snapping me out of my thoughts. Hopping out of the car, I quickly open the back door, unclipping her from the car seat. Her cries ring out into the afternoon air, and I gently bounce her up and down as I shut the car door with my foot. Heading to the trunk, I open it and grab her bag with my free hand, slinging it over my shoulder. My phone is safely in my pocket, and I have everything I need to go back inside. 

As I walk toward the front door, I see it swing open. Mom comes rushing out to me, a worried look on her face. "What's going on?" she asks, stopping in front of me. She holds her arms out, so I hand Vera over to her gratefully. "Why is she crying like this? And why were you gone for over an hour?"

The tight feeling in my chest intensifies at her questions. I can't tell her that I was out with my friends, trying to find a freaking bee to save Henry's superpowers. She'd never believe me if I told her that. Plus, she'd be mad that I wasn't driving Vera around the whole time and that I lied to her about what I was doing. I don't want to disappoint my mom nor my dad, and everything that I am doing right now is doing exactly that. 

"I think she's hungry," I finally say. Taking a step back from my mother and Vera, I can feel my cheeks warm up. Mom is looking at me like I'm a strange creature, which I probably am. "I didn't want to wake her up since she was sleeping so soundly, so I just continued driving around. That's why I'm late. Sorry."

Mom bounces Vera on her hip, staring at me for a minute longer. Then, she nods once before turning on her heel, walking toward the front door. I stare at her back, feeling the weight of Vera's bag on my shoulder, adding to the weight of the world. Mom must know something is up with me. For some reason, I wished that she questioned me about my weird actions, to make sure that I was okay before taking Vera inside. But she chose to do that instead of checking on me, and that's it.