16: FIRST LOVE

There's absolutely nothing about Dr

There's absolutely nothing about Dr. Guinevere anywhere. I spent all day trying to find something -- anything -- about her, like her credentials or who she is, but there's nothing on the internet that gave me any insight as to who she is. I wish I had time to go to the library to check out whatever they have there about this Dr. Guinevere, but I didn't. I know less about her than I do about Jenny now. Nothing. Zip. Nada. 

Vera sighs in her sleep, and I glance over at her. She's laying in her crib in the dark while we're waiting for Molly to get back from class. In between watching her and doing my homework, I researched about the fabled Dr. Guinevere. Since nothing came up for her, I decided to read about the Guinevere from the King Arthur legend. Nothing really stood out to me there, which was disheartening, too.

Walking over to the crib, I quickly check on her. Vera has her Cocomelon dolls in her little arms. Smiling down at her, my heart soars in my chest. She's so cute and tiny and cuddly, and I just love her so much. Even though I really didn't want her in this house when I first found out that Molly was pregnant, she's everything to me now. I can't imagine my life without her now, which is so strange since she's around six or seven months old. 

I guess that the people you least expect to be in your life are the best people. Vera is an example, and so is Henry. 

There's a creaking sound hitting the silent air, and I whip around. Are Mom and Dad back from their date night yet? Because I'd definitely be willing to trade Vera off to them to try to get to the library before it closes for the night. Hurrying through the room, I stop in Molly's living room to see her coming down the stairs. She looks absolutely exhausted and weighed down, physically by her backpack and literally by the life she was dealt. Even if we have differing situations in life, I can definitely relate to her.

Molly doesn't see me yet, so I clear my throat. She glances at me, a terrified look on her face. She lets out a sigh when she realizes it's just me, walking into her living room. Throwing her backpack onto the ground, she whispers, "Is she asleep?"

"Yeah."

"How was she today?"

I think back on the day. It's hard for me to remember what exactly happened today, especially since I was multitasking with her and the research. "She was pretty good," I say, nodding. "She cried a little bit, but she was easily soothed by food."

"Good," Molly says, scrubbing a hand across her face. I've never seen her like this before, like an actual adult. She's always been my older sister, and I didn't see her as an adult until this very moment. I'm not sure how I feel about it. "You can go upstairs now. I'll probably be up to do laundry soon."

"Okay."

I make my way toward the stairs, but Molly stops me by grabbing my arm. I turn around to look at her with a frown on my face, but it falls when I see a weird look on her face. "Thank you, Laurel," she says, her voice soft. "I know I don't say it enough, but thanks for taking care of Vera for me. I wish I could be here more for her, but . . ."