27: BROKEN LOVE

I settle down on the round couch next to Charlotte, holding a jar of applesauce

I settle down on the round couch next to Charlotte, holding a jar of applesauce. The others are eating their applesauce out of cut open tennis balls, but that's obviously gross, so I decided to eat the rest of it out of the jar. Schwoz  and Jasper have KLVY News on, but Charlotte and I aren't paying any attention to it. Instead, I have the piece of mail from Dr. Guinevere out and sitting on my lap as Charlotte searches through the database on her phone about anything related with Dr. Guinevere. 

Eating a bite of the sweet applesauce, I stare down at the postcard sitting on my lap. The postcard looks quite normal with a picture of a setting sun, like it isn't carrying the weight of the world on its shoulders. Maybe it's like me; I don't look like a person that is afraid of showing her emotions, but that's obviously not the truth. Worry spreads through my veins as I reread the small note from Dr. Guinevere on the white part of the postcard. It states:

Dear Laurel Love,

We hear that you and your boyfriend, Henry Hart, need some assistance from Dr. Guinevere. You two have been invited to talk to Dr. Guinevere here at Camelot's Love Life. The only thing you need to bring is the two of you and your problems! 

Love, 

Dr. Guinevere

PS. This invitation is good for the couple in question. Come to our offices alone, and don't bring friends. 

To the right of the little message is the address for their office here in Swellview and what time we need to be there. They want us there in a few days, which isn't enough time for me to prepare myself. All the couples that have seen Dr. Guinevere have broken up. At least, that was what happened with Henry's parents. I don't want that to happen to us, even if we recently fought. 

"So, when did you get this?" Charlotte asks me as she sets her phone down next to us. It's shut off, which means that she didn't find anything about Dr. Guinevere. It doesn't surprise me since we haven't found anything so far, either. "And when does she want you guys to see her?"

"I got it when we got back from our trip," I say, leaning forward and setting the jar of applesauce on the table in front of Schwoz and Jasper. They're both too engrossed in the news to even pay attention to Charlotte and me talking. "She wants us there in a few days." I wring my hands together, staring at Charlotte, who has a happy look on her face. It's probably only for me. "What are we going to do?"

"You're going to go and see what she's all about," Charlotte says confidently. She nods as I quickly shake my head, my heart thundering uncomfortably in my chest. I don't think she notices the terrified look on my face. "You and Henry wanted to find out more about Dr. Guinevere since she broke up his parents, and this is one way to do it."

"But . . . I don't want us to break up."

"Is there a chance you might break up with Henry if you go see Dr. Guinevere?"