Chapter 5: The Return

The shouting came quite late in the evening. A female voice, to be exact. And I knew exactly whose it was. 

'Klaus! Get out here and tell me what you've done with our brother, you backstabbing, narcissistic wanker!' 

'Enough with all the shouting,' Klaus said, opening two double doors and walking through. 'Little sister, I should have known. I assume the 6 dead vampires were your doing.' 

'They were very rude. Trying to victimize a poor, innocent girl just trying to find her way to the Quarter. So sorry, were they friends of yours? Oh, that's right, you don't have any friends.' 

'I do have friends. I have Marcel. You remember him, don't you?' Rebekah's face fell at the mention of her old flame. 'Yes, of course you do. He fancies himself the "King of the Quarter" now, and he has these rules about killing vampires. It'll be fun to see what sort of punishment he comes up with for you.' Just then I walked down the steps. 

'Well, well, what a lovely surprise. Bex, it's good to see you.' She turned with a smile and the two of us gave each other a hug. 'Niklaus, politeness is key. Didn't your mother teach you that?' 

'You know, you've got an awful chip on your shoulder lately.' 

'I don't know, Klaus, maybe because you daggered my boyfriend,' I replied with sass in my voice. 

'I don't care about Marcel or his rules,' Rebekah snapped. 'Elijah doesn't welch on deals. What did you do to him?' 

'Perhaps he's on holiday... or taking a long autumn nap upstairs,' Klaus replied, attempting to skirt around the situation. 'Well, go on, take a look around. You remember this house as well as I do.' She turned and opened a set of double doors in order to go through, but before she did, she turned to face the hybrid. 

'I remember everything.' 

Several hours later... 

Rebekah, Sophie Deveraux, and I were walking amongst the graves in the witches' cemetery. 

'So, if I had to guess, knowing Klaus' history, Elijah has a dagger in his chest. It's a magical object: you're a witch. Do a locator spell, locate the dagger, locate Elijah.' 

'I can't use magic. It's punishable by death - Marcel's rules,' Sophie replied. We stopped in front of one of the graves. 

'Marcel?' I asked. 'What do you think we're going to do to you if you don't give us what we want?' 

'Not much. I've been linked, so anything you two do to me you do to Hayley.' 

'Who?' Rebekah asked with a look of confusion, to which Sophie replied with a pointed look. 'Oh right, the mumzy. Well, luckily Elijah seems to care about her. Otherwise, I'd break your neck right here.' Rebekah sighed, looking around the cemetery. 'How did Marcel get so bloody powerful anyway? It wasn't like this when I left 100 years ago.' 

'Marcel has a way of telling whenever magic's done in the Quarter. The 'how' isn't relevant.' 

'I'll tell you what's bloody relevant. A coven of witches who can't do magic. Here's an idea. Move away.' 

'We practice ancestral magic. This cemetery is filled with the remains of our witch ancestors. Without access to them, we're powerless. If we run, we're leaving our legacy behind, our home, our family.' 

'Well; family's overrated,' Rebekah replied with a sigh and went to sit down, as Sophie stepped up to her. I leaned against one of the large cemetery headstones. 'Look at me. I'm back in the city that's given me nothing but heartache, looking for a brother who's hell-bent on protecting a baby I don't care about?'