Chapter 35: Resurrection Problems

Several days later...

Elijah sat, twirling a dagger in his fingers. I sat next to him.

'Let me guess - you brought me back from the dead to torture me.'

'My dear mother, we simply need your blood, but in the event that you should suffer horribly, I can't promise I won't enjoy it immensely,' Elijah replied. I got up to stand in front of her.

'I will enjoy it even more infinitely, now that you have attempted to, and failed to kill me twice. For our sake, Elijah, I hope she suffers.' Just then the doors opened and Klaus walked in.

'Ah, Mother, I've arrived just in time for another of your deaths, and as much as I appreciate the front-row seat, I'm afraid I'm going to have to postpone the festivities.'

'You're no fun, Nik,' I scoffed.

'You're in excellent spirits,' Elijah remarked.

'Luckily for you, as I'm the one needed to save the day.'

'Is that what it's called?' I snapped.

'Why not? My plan's worked perfectly,' he replied. Elijah took a step towards him. 'Easy, Elijah. I can see your red door swinging wide open, but our job's not yet done.'

'Shall we kill her and be done with it?' I snapped in a bored voice.

'To be clear, I do want her blood,' Klaus replied, 'but I want it on this blade, which I've had bound with the soil from Dahlia's homeland, not to mention Viking ash. Mother's demise will have to wait. You see, I need her to weaken Dahlia's defenses, bit of psychological warfare before I slaughter the both of you.'

'Ah, yes,' Esther said softly. 'You expect me to walk willingly to my death.'

'Oh, willing participation would have been a bonus, but it's far from necessary,' Klaus replied. 'If needs be, I'll drag you there myself.'

'Yes, dear mother, you do not have a choice,' Rebekah said, walking into the room in her original body. 'Then again, why should you be any different than the rest of us? We're all dancing puppets in Nik's end-of-days marionette show. He forces every move we make.'

'And how long are you going to stand there and pretend you don't need me to?' Klaus snapped at her. 'The three of you have fought me at every turn, leaving me no choice but to act alone.' He stepped forward. 'We're no strangers to disagreements on the battlefield, but we also have a very long history of doing whatever it takes to win the war!'

'And what of Gia...' Elijah said softly, almost mournfully. He stepped towards her. 'Hayley?' Klaus simply smiled.

'Collateral damage.' There was silence. Suddenly, Elijah's fist flew into Klaus' face and he reeled back from the force of the punch.

'Elijah -' I began to say, but he stared at me.

'You will not interfere.' My blood boiled at feeling the sire bond overtake me, but I stopped my arguments. He walked around his brother. 'You claim your actions are part of some ruse,' he said. 'This was punishment.'

'Punishment? Whatever for? Perhaps the dagger you put in my heart.'

'You brought that upon yourself. No, we have fought together for centuries, and once again, to break your enemy, you broke - your family. Well, know this. Whatever the outcome of tonight, you will no longer see me or Lilliana by your side. You want to be alone? Well, congratulations. You have your wish.' He pulled up the chain, bringing Esther to her feet. 'Come, Mother. Time to kill some family.' He led her away, and I walked out after him.