Chapter 21: Can't Have It In the Wrong Hands

Later that afternoon...

Klaus lit the fire, and Rebekah exited the house with something in her hand.

'Look what I found!' she exclaimed cheerily. 'Do you think it will work?'

'Oh, bloody hell,' Klaus said, and turned away.

'Come on, let's try. Hey, Nik, do you think you can cram us into a selfie?'

'Well, Niklaus is the virtuoso of cramming his siblings into small spaces,' Elijah quipped as he, Hayley, baby Hope and I came to stand near the two other Mikaelson siblings. I let out a short laugh at the remark.

'I'm so glad I travelled hundreds of miles to visit my mentally ill brother, only to have him insult me to my face,' Klaus sniped.

'Oh, come on,' I said. 'Just take the picture.' I sidled up next to Elijah, and Hayley was next to Elijah on his right side holding baby Hope, and then Rebekah and lastly, Klaus. He snapped the photo and all of us looked around the small photo as it slowly began to develop.

'Aww, see?' Rebekah said softly. 'I wish that it could always be like this.'

'If wishes were horses...' Elijah said.

'Beggars would ride,' Klaus finished for him. He turned to the group. 'You realise we'll have to burn it. You want me to make a wish for the family, Rebekah, I wish it didn't have to be like this, but it does. We can't risk it falling into the wrong hands.' He handed it to Hayley and she walked over to the fire, throwing it in.

'No, this - this isn't right,' Rebekah said mournfully. 'We deserve this. We've earned this. I won't let it slip away.' There was a moment of silence. 'I know what to do to stop Esther.'

'Rebekah, no,' I said.

'I'm gonna take her deal, and when I do, I'm taking her down with me,' she said.

As Hayley nursed Hope with a bottle on the porch, Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah and I were inside one of the rooms, discussing the plan.

'It'll work,' Rebekah said. 'She'll be distracted during the spell. She'll be vulnerable.'

'No. If we kill her, she'll body jump,' Klaus said.

'Then bloody stop her from jumping,' Rebekah replied.

'If I knew how to bloody stop her from jumping, don't you think I would have happily murdered her ages ago?' Klaus snapped.

'Well, ages ago, you didn't have a Harvest girl or a Mikaelson witch,' Rebekah replied. 'Kol knows all of her tricks.'

'Are you insane?' Elijah piped up from where he was leaning against the bookshelves.

'Hardly, Elijah. It was your idea,' Rebekah snapped. 'You were the one who said she needed a win, and if we get this right, she'll have one.'

'I'm sorry - am I missing something here, or did Elijah, my boyfriend, just suggest that we let Esther win? You're madder than Niklaus if that's the angle you're getting at. She must have done a real number on you, Elijah. I'm waiting outside with Hayley and the baby. You and I are going to have a serious chat after you're done with these two.' I walked out of the room, leaving the three siblings alone.

'If we do it wrong, you're no longer in your own body,' Elijah said.

'Would that be the worst thing?' Rebekah replied. 'You were ready to do it yourself.'

'It was a foolish moment, and one that you sagely dissuaded me from.'

'Hopefully, we'll get lucky and stop the spell before I jump.'

'And if we're not, you get what you always wanted,' Klaus replied softly. 'I mean, that's what you're saying, isn't it? You're willing to lose.'

'I'm willing to risk losing, yes,' she said.

'Well, we need to find someone for her to jump into. Someone anonymous, someone who could disappear with Hope.'

'Rebekah, we've been together for centuries. If you were human -' Elijah began to say, but she cut him off.

'When I'm old and wrinkly, you can dump me back in my old body. Nik already has a coffin he can store me in.'

'But to trust Kol?' Elijah quizzed.

'It's not about trust, Elijah. It's about finding the proper leverage.'

'She's right,' Elijah replied.

'Kol will do what's best for Kol,' Klaus spoke up. 'We just have to meet his price.'

That evening...

I walked into the living room, seeing Elijah sitting on an ottoman, watching the fire.

'Hey.' He looked up.

'Lilliana.' I came towards him and pulling up a chair, I sat.

'You and I need to chat. About - the human stuff.'

'Listen, about my idea, Rebekah talked me out of it. It was a foolish moment. I apologise for not telling you.'

'There's nothing to tell. Did you want to do it? Become human again?'

'Yes. I wanted to - for you.'

'Why me?'

'Because I saw the look in your eyes when you were holding Hope. You want a child of your own.'

'I want one, but that's no longer possible given the condition I'm now in. You would want a child too, right? If it were possible?'

'Yes. I want one more than anything in this world. For that alone, I would give up being a vampire.'

'You're one of the oldest vampires in the world, and you would give all of that up, the power, the prestige, the strength, the speed and the immortality for a child?'

'Not just any child. Having a child with you. That's all I've ever wanted.' I took his hands in mine.

'Is that your wish?' I asked.

'That's my wish. What's yours?'

'That the two of us could pursue our love in a world free from obligation, duty to the family, to the city - that our love would burn ever brighter regardless of people like Esther and Mikael.' He sat back a little.

'Come here,' he said softly, and I climbed into his lap, looking into his eyes, and we kissed softly. 'I love you so much, Lilliana Moore.'

'I love you always and forever, Elijah Mikaelson.'