Chapter 23: A Child In Danger

Elijah hung the hammer up on the hook, after fixing the fence. He paused for a moment, suddenly hearing his phone ring in his suit jacket pocket. He came over and took the phone out, answering the call.

'Niklaus,' he said, walking to the entrance of the barn.

'Finn knows, about Hope, about everything. I don't know how long until he gets there, but he is on his way,' Klaus said over the line frantically.

'Yes. remarkably well on his way, I would say... brother.' He lowered the phone. Suddenly, Finn used his magic to throw Elijah backwards several paces. I, being at the house, and having heard the whole exchange over the phone with my vampire hearing, sped to the barn to take on Finn, but he turned, seeing me, and threw me up against the wall of the barn, snapping my neck to incapacitate me instantly.

At a farmer's market shed...

'Hey, Elijah, I left my cell at the house like an idiot. Luckily, pay phones are still a thing out here in the sticks,' Cami said over the pay phone, Hope in a stroller behind her. She looked at the baby, seeing what looked like nothing under the Band-Aid that was put on earlier from her scratch. 'Anyway, we're heading home now.' Cami knelt by the baby and removed the Band-Aid softly. She chuckled softly, seeing no mark, no evidence of a scratch there. 'I don't know if the pediatric ward would approve of Uncle Elijah and Aunt Lilliana using vampire blood to heal boo-boos.'

At the farmhouse...

Elijah rose to his feet, noticing Lilliana lying there unconscious. He tried to move towards Finn, but he used his magic to keep him back.

'How'd you find me?' Elijah asked.

'Little help from our sister.'

'Rebekah would never lower herself to wallow in your filth,' Elijah spat.

'We have more than one, you know, and I get the sense she doesn't like you all that much.' Elijah gave him a strange look of confusion.

'Freya.'

'Mother warned me Dahlia would kill us all to acquire another firstborn Mikaelson. And me, I'm in no mood to die.'

'Cowering behind your witchcraft. You always were pathetic, Finn,' Elijah said.

'After nearly a millenium of dishonourable acts hidden away in your own mind, you have the audacity to call me names. What I do now, I do for the members of my family who can still be saved. Unfortunately, neither you nor Niklaus managed to make that list.' Just then he used his magic to thrust a garden tool into Elijah's back, and then another into his chest. He yelled in pain, falling to his knees, and after a while of struggling, slowly dessicated to an ashy grey colour. Finn, seeming satisfied with his work, turned and sauntered out of the barn.

Finn walked in the house, noticing the jacket that Cami had left, and the baby toys. In the barn, Elijah woke up, hearing Finn call out from the house.

'Where are you, Camille? There's no use in hiding.' He got to his knees, and yanked the garden tool out of his chest. He looked over at Lilliana, still unconscious on the ground.

'I know you're in here, Camille!' Finn called out. Suddenly, something thrust into his side, making him cry out. Elijah entered the house with a vengeance, slowly walking through the front door. He shut the door. Finn pulled out the blade. Suddenly, Finn's nose began to bleed, and he held out the blood from his nose, using it to throw Elijah around the house. He threw him through a wall, and for a second, Elijah laid there. Putting his hand to his shirt, he looked at the blood staining his hand and his mind went elsewhere for a moment. Finn limped through the house, his powers getting more and more overloaded. He fell to his knees, crying out in pain.

Cami's car rolled up the driveway. Meanwhile in the house, Finn got to his feet, soon finding Elijah in the library, looking at his blood stained hands.

Baby Hope began to fuss in the back of the car, Cami leaning over to soothe her.

'It's okay. It's okay.'

Elijah continued to look at the blood on his hands wordlessly.

'Look at you, brother,' Finn goaded. 'You're a mess, and as we both know, untidiness is your undoing. Tell me, do your soiled clothes serve as a reminder of your filthy memories, your many sins? Are you having bad memories now, perhaps of the innocent Tatia... or any one of the poor souls that have met their fate at your hands.'

Cami continued to drive, rolling into the driveway of the house.

'That's a shame, really, because in a way, the child is just another one of your victims. Had you the will to stand against me, you might have saved her, but because she was left under the protection of a wretch, a beast that basks in the blood of others, she will die. I suppose your little niece never really had a chance.'

The vehicle continued to drive up the laneway towards the house, when the engine suddenly switched off and the vehicle stopped completely, just meters from the house.

'I'd ask for a response, but I wouldn't want to taint myself with the vulgar refuse that must, even now, be flashing through your mind.' Elijah looked up.

'Let me assure you, my mind is quite clear... much like the gas that has pervaded every single room in this home whilst you have been ranting like the lunatic you are.' He stood and turned to face his brother. 'You have disgraced this family for the last time.' He pulled off his daylight ring and exposed his hand to the sunlight, letting it begin to sizzle. It burst into flame.

In the barn, I woke up, just in time to see the house explode into flames. I looked towards where Elijah was supposed to be earlier.

'Elijah!' I screamed.

'Oh, my God!' Cami gasped, seeing the explosion. Suddenly, the engine switched back on without warning. Cami looked back at the baby, who simply sat in her booster seat, sucking on her pacifier.