Chapter 18: Lingering Effects

A few days after the rescue...

'Today, a new future awaits,' Klaus said, as myself, Elijah and him sat at the dinner table with Kol and Finn chained to each other, in their respective witch bodies. 'Forget your animosity against Elijah and myself, and instead join us against she who truly deserves your ire - our mother. Do this, and we will welcome you with open arms.' Kol reached for a pastry on the table, but Klaus slapped his hand away. 'But, if you continue to oppose us, a denial of pastries will be the least of your concerns.'

'If all you wanted was my allegiance against Mother dearest, you should have said so. Save me a night shackled to the wall.'

'That was Niklaus,' Elijah said slowly. 'My recommendation was to remove your limbs one by one until you comply.' Klaus laughed, standing from the table and coming to stand behind his brothers.

'We've no desire to torture you, provided you vow to stand beside us as brothers.'

'Brothers?' Finn asked. 'Does that even apply to us? After all these centuries of betrayal, and is loyalty to you ever really rewarded? If so, tell me Niklaus, where is our sister Rebekah? She was blindly loyal to you for a thousand years, and now, nowhere to be found. Where did our sister go, and how did she escape your vile machinations?' Klaus laughed again, sitting at the table once more.

'You think me vile? Well, what then, do you make of the one who cursed us?'

'She was trying to make you mortal again, and you both refused her. Only proves how far you've fallen, but I expect Rebekah will have a different response to her proposal. See unlike the two of you, she always did cling to her humanity.'

'Rebekah's off limits, too,' Elijah said, pointing a knife at him. 'You pursue her, and you will suffer.'

'Do not let him goad you, Elijah,' I said softly, turning to the brothers. 'Neither he nor Esther will find Rebekah unless she wants to be found, and she does not.'

'Esther is quite determined,' Finn replied. 'She's been searching for Rebekah since the day she returned. I imagine it's only a matter of time.' Elijah grabbed him, pulled him across the table and sunk his fangs into his brother's neck.

'Elijah!' I shouted.

Klaus slammed Elijah against the wall.

'I enjoy a good bloodletting as much as anyone,' Klaus said, and Elijah pushed him back, wiping his mouth free of the blood of his brother and glaring at him, 'but our brothers have power, as well as knowledge of Esther's plans. We need them alive.'

'Can you imagine what they would do to Rebekah, to Hope?' Elijah hissed.

'Rebekah has been cloaked by powerful magic. Focus on the task at hand.' Elijah breathed. 'We need to persuade our brothers.'

'I'm through with persuasion,' Elijah growled, and pushed past his brother, but Klaus grabbed his shoulder.

'Has the Earth shifted on its axis, you needing restraint from me?' Klaus teased lightly. Elijah sighed and then suddenly, my phone rang. I pulled it out, the two brothers following after me.

'It's me. I have the baby and we're on the run,' Rebekah said desperately over the phone. 'Esther found us. We're safe - for now. I've lost her bloody starlings, but I have no idea where to go.'

'Tell her to head west,' Klaus suggested. 'I'll call Hayley.'

'Do not tell Hayley. Esther is too smart for that,' Rebekah said over the phone. 'The only advantage that we have is that she thinks the baby died. Text me with plans, Lilliana.'

'Will do,' I said, and signed off the call.

'Go. We'll take care of Kol and Finn,' Elijah said.

'Splendid, and in your hands, I assume they'll be dead by nightfall.'

'An incredible offence to my restraint, Nik,' I teased.

'I will show restraint,' Elijah replied. 'Hope needs her father.'

'What she needs, what - what we need are allies to help us defeat our mother,' Klaus said. 'Finn and Kol need to be turned to our side. Without their help, there will be nowhere left for Hope to run.'

'Klaus, your child -' Elijah began to say, but Klaus cut him off.

'I have waited months to see my daughter. I can wait one more day.' Elijah turned and began to walk down the hallway, with me following him. 'Elijah, Lilliana,' he said. We turned to face him. 'Do whatever it takes to keep her safe.'

'You have our word,' Elijah said, and we both turned and left.