Chapter 31: A Conversation Between Two Brothers

Elijah walked through the apartment in Algiers. Lilliana wasn't awake, she was sleeping in their bed. He'd tried to go to sleep with her, but he still had things to do and the matter of Freya was still very much on his mind. As he was hanging up some of his clothes, he heard a familiar voice.

'So this is where you and your girlfriend live,' Klaus said, walking into the room. 'It's nicer on the inside.'

'Can I help you, Niklaus, or did you cross the river purely to critique my decor?'

'I thought you might like to know I was moved by what you said about my decision not to trust our long-lost sister. So I waited until she was revived, and when she did, we had quite a chat.'

'And your position remains unchanged?'

'I looked in your eyes, and I saw only anger and fear, the will to do whatever it takes to survive no matter who she hurts. I can use her to my own ends, but I could never allow so damaged a creature to have a say in my plans.'

'You may not trust her, but trust me, brother,' Elijah replied. 'We may have our differences as of late, but we shall exercise the same caution we have always issued towards our allies.'

'Fine. I'll let you pursue it, but should Freya betray us -'

'If Freya should even attempt to betray us, I shall bury her beneath a thousand wretched torments,' Elijah said.

'I don't doubt it, but what if you're too late? What if Freya is duplicitous? What if Hope should be harmed through her actions? You won't have to worry that I will never forgive you because you will never forgive yourself. You will suffer a guilt that will be impossible to endure.' Elijah turned to him. 'A terrible fate for one who cannot die.'

'Nothing will happen to that child, but we have to consider every weapon at our disposal, brother. Dahlia is coming. The ony question is when.'